+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: VPI Turntables?

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    I own a used Scout. A very nice 'table and the nicest I've ever owned. I have never used a Nottingham, so I can't compare, but it does many things very well. The arm is of good quality, and the reason the wire sticks out the top, is because it is interchangeable. If you own more than one arm, you can mount different cartridges on each, and pick the arm right up, unplug it, and place the next one on. Although the extra arms are expensive to say the least, it's the reason for the design. Great speed stability, rock solid performance, super quiet, silent passages are just jet black. The Scout 1 and 1.1 have an acrylic platter, and the 2 has an aluminum platter. They claim the new aluminum platter is better, but I've heard it was just cheaper to manufacture than the acrylic. Mine has the acrylic platter and I love it. I paid less than half price used. And it may be the last table I will ever own?

As for VPI the company, I am not thrilled with. I sent my 16.5 RCM in to be repaired and never saw it again! Most disappointing. Still makes me angry to think about that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    VPIs look and always have like a professionally built item, Nottingham Analogue, not so much, particularly the tonearms, the finish on those is pretty basic - in my opinion. They do sound good though. I recall hearing a Mentor Reference in Fortress Audio in London years ago and I was very impressed with the sound it was making in their system.

That's very bad customer service
    Regards Neil

I'm Geoff.

I had an HW-19 briefly. It worked, but did not impress.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I had an HW-19 briefly. It worked, but did not impress.
    That was an entry level deck I think, never heard or seen one. Maybe a poor arm and cart combination with it.
    Regards Neil

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    That was an entry level deck I think, never heard or seen one. Maybe a poor arm and cart combination with it.
    It was fairly solid. but I didn't like the particle board top which just rested on four Sorbothane pads. They are prone to sag I believe, although mine hadn't. I put an RB250 on it. As I say, it worked, but that was about it. I should have spent the money on a TD150!
    Last edited by walpurgis; 08-05-2017 at 10:00.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It was fairly solid. but I didn't like the particle board top which just rested on four Sorbothane pads. They are prone to sag I believe, although mine hadn't. I put an RB250 on it. As I say, it worked, but that was about it. I should have spent the mnoey on a TD150!
    Having never heard one, seen one or taken one apart I can't comment. Never heard a TD150 either.
    Regards Neil

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Never heard a TD150 either.
    I thought everybody had one at some time.

They are a very nice little turntable. In my opinion, with careful setup, they will outperform the TD160 comfortably. I regard these as being as good sonically as the TD125. With the benefit of no electronic complexity.

I'm Paul.

Why does everyone still think a higher price equals better quality.

Do the math it cant, you cannot improve on the sound of the original, the Vinyl played on it how can a 100 grand turntable do anything better than a 10 grand turntable, the simple truth of the matter that no one wants to admit to even though there is a mountain of evidence is that a quite low cost system will attain 99% of the original sound off the vinyl once you spend a grand on a turntable you have probably maxed out what a turntable/Arm/Cartridge combination can extract from vinyl, spending any more is pointless, but those who do will never admit to that will they, if you have attained perfection how can spending money give better than perfection.

Mod note. Edited dont use that term again or you will get a holiday. Youve been warned already
    Last edited by struth; 08-05-2017 at 10:41. Reason: Mod final warning
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-H View Post
    once you spend a grand on a turntable you have probably maxed out what a turntable/Arm/Cartridge combination can extract from vinyl
    Hardly.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-H View Post
    Why does everyone still think a higher price equals better quality.

Do the math it cant, you cannot improve on the sound of the original, the Vinyl played on it how can a 100 grand turntable do anything better than a 10 grand turntable, the simple truth of the matter that no one wants to admit to even though there is a mountain of evidence is that a quite low cost system will attain 99% of the original sound off the vinyl once you spend a grand on a turntable you have probably maxed out what a turntable/Arm/Cartridge combination can extract from vinyl, spending any more is pointless, but those who do will never admit to that will they, if you have attained perfection how can spending money give better than perfection.
    Sounds like you need to open another thread to discuss, bye.
    Last edited by struth; 08-05-2017 at 10:42. Reason: Part of quote removed
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Graham.

He probably still drives a Morris Minor,after all spending anymore would be pointless.
    Analogue. Basis signature 2200,Basis Vector 4.Koetsu Red,Koetsu SUT,NVO SPA 11.
    Digital. Denon 2900,Jolida FX 11
    Amp. Pathos Logos,Minidsp dirac 22A.
    Speakers. Amphion Xenon.
    Airlink CBS 2000 bps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast