Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
I own a used Scout. A very nice 'table and the nicest I've ever owned. I have never used a Nottingham, so I can't compare, but it does many things very well. The arm is of good quality, and the reason the wire sticks out the top, is because it is interchangeable. If you own more than one arm, you can mount different cartridges on each, and pick the arm right up, unplug it, and place the next one on. Although the extra arms are expensive to say the least, it's the reason for the design. Great speed stability, rock solid performance, super quiet, silent passages are just jet black. The Scout 1 and 1.1 have an acrylic platter, and the 2 has an aluminum platter. They claim the new aluminum platter is better, but I've heard it was just cheaper to manufacture than the acrylic. Mine has the acrylic platter and I love it. I paid less than half price used. And it may be the last table I will ever own?

As for VPI the company, I am not thrilled with. I sent my 16.5 RCM in to be repaired and never saw it again! Most disappointing. Still makes me angry to think about that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
VPIs look and always have like a professionally built item, Nottingham Analogue, not so much, particularly the tonearms, the finish on those is pretty basic - in my opinion. They do sound good though. I recall hearing a Mentor Reference in Fortress Audio in London years ago and I was very impressed with the sound it was making in their system.

That's very bad customer service