+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: td 124 issues

I'm shahrin.

Default naked tt2

This is the noisier tt2
    It has the O ring idler from audiosilente in Italy

Verdict here too that the idler is the culprit
    Convincingly louder than on tt1. There is even a repetitive 'grinding' sort of sound with each turn of the idler.

I whipped of the idler and tried the 2 old original idlers from these decks - they were even worse.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

I'm shahrin.

Default 'idler' as source of noise

Both idlers are quite new
    The idler in tt1 i think i got from a fella in the US called mirko djordjevic
    The O ring idler in tt2 is from eBayer Audiosilente
    So both of the idlers or the idler assemblies are 'noisy'

The diagram below details the idler assembly
    I got that from http://www.theanalogdept.com/td124_notes.htm with this note:

Don't forget that little thrust washer at the bottom of the idler wheel. It is too easily ignored. Noisy idler? make sure its there

Both of mine were assembled without any washers !
    I think this is the key - metal rubbing on metal - not good.
    I feel the more important one is the 'white nylon washer' and there should probably be at least one fibre washer below that and the whole assembly adjusted to fit with the stepped pulley.

My tts were refurbished by a pretty careful guy abt 2 years ago- he did good with both tts - both were stripped and serviced with motor rebuilds and tt1 was painted silver becos of bad oxidation - but he failed to do the idlers correctly.

the other pic shows 3 fibre washers i got with the audiosilente O ring.

This looks like the solution to my problem of rumble
    http://www.schopper.ch/index.php?pag...-Reduction-Kit
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade

I'm Hugo.

Don't waste your money with the Schopper kit - you've already hit on the importance of the washers and this does not add anything useful. I know, because I bought this kit.

I'm shahrin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    Don't waste your money with the Schopper kit - you've already hit on the importance of the washers and this does not add anything useful. I know, because I bought this kit.
    Thank you Hugo, you just saved me 112 swiss francs. ( 2 x kit + shipping)
    Much appreciated. I ll be on the lookout for a nice smooth nylon washer or 2

I'm Josie.

Hi Shahrin.

I had my TD124 fully refurbished by Schopper in 2010 and I must admit they did a superb job and worth the money IMO but as said by Hugo, the idler washer thing isn't a good buy on it's own.

If you haven't already, you should fit the Audiosilente main bearing gasket. This is another great upgrade. Another great recommendation from Hugo.

Glad your sorted.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by drSM View Post
    ........ have long ditched the stethoscope so i had to figure out a way to get ear on chassis without damaging anything (arm/stylus and my own neck!) while maintaing the dexterity to engage and disengage the idler . Not so easy.
    For anyone else having ear to chassis problems a cheap solution is such as this :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MECHANICS-...i:282067939673

I'm shahrin.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hi Shahrin.

I had my TD124 fully refurbished by Schopper in 2010 and I must admit they did a superb job and worth the money IMO but as said by Hugo, the idler washer thing isn't a good buy on it's own.

If you haven't already, you should fit the Audiosilente main bearing gasket. This is another great upgrade. Another great recommendation from Hugo.

Glad your sorted.
    when my 124s were refurbished i gathered a whole bunch of parts from various sources.
    Mirko D supplied many parts. He makes a variety of excellent parts and has put his wares on eBay but he can be pain to deal with.
    from father's illness to divorce(s) he takes forever
    I thiink the bearings bits were from him and they looked real good. Motor service kit too.
    I was looking at the idler from Mirko when i too the platter off tt1 - its very well made and resembles the original.
    hmm must have a look around in the old packages - see if there s a nylon washer or two that failed to find right home.

Good idea Mark !

I'm shahrin.

It turns out that the nylon washer was there !.
    This is probably the original - a very thin nylatron type.
    I missed it when i removed the idler wheel, but my pal Lee confirmed it was there all along.
    So he adjusted the stepped pulley and idler assemblies.
    (The bushes were fine in his opinion)

What then was identified as the next major source of noise was the main platter bearing.
    Turned out that there were flat spots on this 6 mm bearing.
    It has been replaced.
    btw the thrust plate was replaced about 2 yrs ago by part brob from this Mirko guy in the US.
    Further mods included replacing the 4 threaded rods by longer ones so the chassis is now secured by 4 bolts at the bottom of the plinth.

There are other mods to the armboard as i have switched back to the thick original Swiss wooden armboard (from a crappy L shaped one).
    Its much quieter when knocked - but i will discuss that an another thread i started about mods to the 3012, headshell etc to update the rm and optimise to the 103R.

I am really happy that the noise level is much reduced now to a level I can live with.

I'm shahrin.

I seem to be talking to myself but wtf
    I also got these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172633471309?ul_noapp=true

as mine were ossified being 50 yrs old.
    Look at the pic and u will see that this guy meerp1 also makes a brand new slightly thicker top platter for the 124
    He has put that up on eBay before. Looks very nice.

I'm Simon.

Yes I need some new pads for my TD124. I have been using a silicon gel tape, made out of the same stuff used in the motor vibration dampers. But because the tape has a slightly rough edge when cut into little pads it tends to get pealed off the plater.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Source: Thorens TD124 Rega RB300, Sumiko bluepoint No2., Cambridge Audio D500 Special Edition CDP, Squeeze box Touch, PC with Trends Audio USB Audio DAC UD-10 Amplification: Croft Micro 25 basic pre, Leak Stereo 20, Trends Audio Class T TA-10, Fisher X100-A Speakers:Impulse H6 Interconnects: Handmade silver and TNT audio CAT5 speaker cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12