+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sensible way to get spotify to a headphone amp

I'm Tom.

Default Sensible way to get spotify to a headphone amp

I'm putting together a small system for my lad, he's a spotify listener, is there an alternative to using a long cable from his phone or laptop? At sensible money preferably. I have an RPi I can give him but I seriously doubt he can be bothered setting up a server etc but he could well live with something off a high-capacity thumb drive, say - fine for files but don't think that does spotify?

I'm probably also going to be looking for a headphone amp for him to take the output from this source (and possibly also a TT) but that's another discussion, I have an old Marantz amp kicking around with a phono stage that should do him for headphones in the short term - not looking to spend a lot of cash in case it's a 5 minute wonder for him.
    Speakers - 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys with custom crossovers; Amp - Radford STA100; Preamp - EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII with Ikeda IT345-CR1 and Ortofon 309 Limited tonearms; Cartridges: Miyajima Kansui, Zero Mono 0.7 and Premium 1.0 retipped by Ana Mighty Sound with bamboo cantilever, Ortofon SPU Royal N and SPU Mono GM MkII, GE VX II vintage mono, and Shure M3D with Jico stylus; phono stage and SUT from EAR 912; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport and RPI2 with HifiBerry Digi+ board, heavily upgraded Audio Note Kit DAC.

'Wer nicht liebt Wein, Weib und Gesang der ist ein Narr sein Leben lang.'

I'm Grant.

Default Sensible way to get spotify to a headphone amp

Chrome cast then into amp 30 or cans straight out of it
    Regards,
    Grant ....
    Sometimes incompetence is useful. It helps you keep an open mind.
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    IMUTO TAURUS X4 BATTERY SUPPLY. - RPI2B & AUDIOPHONICS DAC running MOODE 3.7- TONBRUX BATTERY SUPPLY & CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no1 - JBE SERIES 3 SLATEDECK & EMOTIVA XPS-1 PHONO - DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS. - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP. -AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER22, SPOTIFY PREMIUM- KINPS CABLES, SMSL M6 MINIDAC, CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no2 POWERED BY ANKER BATTERY PSU - FULL RANGE TWIN & SINGLE TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - TANDBERG TCD310 CASS - CARTS.. ACD xlm mk1 integra, AT95SA Shibata, SHURE N55 SAS, SHURE M55E original, JVC MD1029. - RCA CABLES BY BRIAN SPKR CABLES BY MOI HAIR BY MARCO FEET BY ELECTRICBEACH - MAINS REGENERATED BY POWERINSPIRED AND FILTERED BY BELKIN PUREAV.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I'm putting together a small system for my lad, he's a spotify listener, is there an alternative to using a long cable from his phone or laptop? At sensible money preferably. I have an RPi I can give him but I seriously doubt he can be bothered setting up a server etc but he could well live with something off a high-capacity thumb drive, say - fine for files but don't think that does spotify?

I'm probably also going to be looking for a headphone amp for him to take the output from this source (and possibly also a TT) but that's another discussion, I have an old Marantz amp kicking around with a phono stage that should do him for headphones in the short term - not looking to spend a lot of cash in case it's a 5 minute wonder for him.
    A very quick and simple solution is a bluetooth streamer. I can recommend the Belkin HD Music streamer not least because it has an optical out as well as RCA phono. Effectively you plug the unit into your hifi or DAC and connect via bluetooth to phone, tablet or pc. Then anything that pays on your device can be streamed to unit. You do not even need Spotify Premium as you do with most devices. I have two of these but one is surplus since I bought a Cambridge CXN music streamer. Let me know by PM if you are interested. Here is some info: https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-SongSt.../dp/B00KX3DQXM

Geoff

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Chrome cast then into amp 30 or cans straight out of it
    Yep, chromecast audio, hesdphones, and you're all set.
    NEBO 8 - Sat 6th May 2017, St George Hotel, Durham Tees Valley Airport. 10am til late.

See here for details: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...Airport/page20

I'm Marc.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    Pfft, thirty notes!

7.50 will do the job: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2212226202...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    I have one of these for my classic car 60s radio, it's bloody great!!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

LP12, Kore, Lingo2, Aro, SKale / DV XX2Mk2, Benz Micro Glider L2 / WAD 300b Power Modded, Mesh Plate Valves / David Coe AD Audio 'Satchmo' Pre & Phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT
    / Kudos Cardea 2 / Rpi3 & Digi + pro / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / SW1X Audio Design DAC 1 Signature / Synology NAS Drive / Tidal HiFi

I'm Tom.

Thanks guys - one question can Chromecast be made to connect to USB (data not charger which I think the USB input is for)?
    Speakers - 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys with custom crossovers; Amp - Radford STA100; Preamp - EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII with Ikeda IT345-CR1 and Ortofon 309 Limited tonearms; Cartridges: Miyajima Kansui, Zero Mono 0.7 and Premium 1.0 retipped by Ana Mighty Sound with bamboo cantilever, Ortofon SPU Royal N and SPU Mono GM MkII, GE VX II vintage mono, and Shure M3D with Jico stylus; phono stage and SUT from EAR 912; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport and RPI2 with HifiBerry Digi+ board, heavily upgraded Audio Note Kit DAC.

'Wer nicht liebt Wein, Weib und Gesang der ist ein Narr sein Leben lang.'

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Thanks guys - one question can Chromecast be made to connect to USB (data not charger which I think the USB input is for)?
    Not directly, the only socket is the charger or the output. If you want to play your own files you can use LMS with a plug in (treats the chromecast as a squeezebox) or get the files onto your phone/tablet (android) and cast them directly.

I'm Grant.

Ive used bubble on android and foobar to do this. Works fine although the interface etc isnt great. Works well enough though
    Regards,
    Grant ....
    Sometimes incompetence is useful. It helps you keep an open mind.
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    IMUTO TAURUS X4 BATTERY SUPPLY. - RPI2B & AUDIOPHONICS DAC running MOODE 3.7- TONBRUX BATTERY SUPPLY & CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no1 - JBE SERIES 3 SLATEDECK & EMOTIVA XPS-1 PHONO - DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS. - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP. -AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER22, SPOTIFY PREMIUM- KINPS CABLES, SMSL M6 MINIDAC, CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no2 POWERED BY ANKER BATTERY PSU - FULL RANGE TWIN & SINGLE TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - TANDBERG TCD310 CASS - CARTS.. ACD xlm mk1 integra, AT95SA Shibata, SHURE N55 SAS, SHURE M55E original, JVC MD1029. - RCA CABLES BY BRIAN SPKR CABLES BY MOI HAIR BY MARCO FEET BY ELECTRICBEACH - MAINS REGENERATED BY POWERINSPIRED AND FILTERED BY BELKIN PUREAV.

+ Reply to Thread