+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sensible way to get spotify to a headphone amp

montesquieu Guest

Default Sensible way to get spotify to a headphone amp

I'm putting together a small system for my lad, he's a spotify listener, is there an alternative to using a long cable from his phone or laptop? At sensible money preferably. I have an RPi I can give him but I seriously doubt he can be bothered setting up a server etc but he could well live with something off a high-capacity thumb drive, say - fine for files but don't think that does spotify?

I'm probably also going to be looking for a headphone amp for him to take the output from this source (and possibly also a TT) but that's another discussion, I have an old Marantz amp kicking around with a phono stage that should do him for headphones in the short term - not looking to spend a lot of cash in case it's a 5 minute wonder for him.

I'm Grant.

Default Sensible way to get spotify to a headphone amp

Chrome cast then into amp £30 or cans straight out of it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I'm putting together a small system for my lad, he's a spotify listener, is there an alternative to using a long cable from his phone or laptop? At sensible money preferably. I have an RPi I can give him but I seriously doubt he can be bothered setting up a server etc but he could well live with something off a high-capacity thumb drive, say - fine for files but don't think that does spotify?

I'm probably also going to be looking for a headphone amp for him to take the output from this source (and possibly also a TT) but that's another discussion, I have an old Marantz amp kicking around with a phono stage that should do him for headphones in the short term - not looking to spend a lot of cash in case it's a 5 minute wonder for him.
    A very quick and simple solution is a bluetooth streamer. I can recommend the Belkin HD Music streamer not least because it has an optical out as well as RCA phono. Effectively you plug the unit into your hifi or DAC and connect via bluetooth to phone, tablet or pc. Then anything that pays on your device can be streamed to unit. You do not even need Spotify Premium as you do with most devices. I have two of these but one is surplus since I bought a Cambridge CXN music streamer. Let me know by PM if you are interested. Here is some info: https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-SongSt.../dp/B00KX3DQXM

Geoff

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Chrome cast then into amp £30 or cans straight out of it
    Yep, chromecast audio, hesdphones, and you're all set.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Marc.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    Pfft, thirty notes!

£7.50 will do the job: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2212226202...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    I have one of these for my classic car 60s radio, it's bloody great!!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

montesquieu Guest

Thanks guys - one question can Chromecast be made to connect to USB (data not charger which I think the USB input is for)?

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Thanks guys - one question can Chromecast be made to connect to USB (data not charger which I think the USB input is for)?
    Not directly, the only socket is the charger or the output. If you want to play your own files you can use LMS with a plug in (treats the chromecast as a squeezebox) or get the files onto your phone/tablet (android) and cast them directly.

I'm Grant.

Ive used bubble on android and foobar to do this. Works fine although the interface etc isnt great. Works well enough though
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread