+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ADC XLM Mk III Improved..... Worth Keeping?

I'm Martin.

Yes thanks everyone.

I can source the original new old stock XLM II improved only. I look at whether they are nude mounted or whatever. Its going to be better than the QLM and others down the range I hope

Plenty of generic aftermarket shoes but I dont really know who has made them which is worrying to me.

I got it for effectively nothing so I think up to £60 to keep it going is fair. It may be that the original stylus is ok but I will have to check that out...its probably had the sort of use where it needs replacing

Thanks again
    best wishes
    Martin

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    its probably had the sort of use where it needs replacing
    Not necessarily. My ADC's are near fifty years old and just fine on their original styli.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

My only word of caution concerning high compliance ADCs (30cu or greater) is that, with time, the suspension can collapse.

I have a couple of ADC25s with full range of stylii as well as a couple of 10E Mk. IVs, Fortunately the stylii/cantilevers for them are still fine, but a year or so ago I sold an ADC26 (essentially identical to the 25, both having a very high compliance of 50cu) to a former Member here, and unfortunately the suspension collapsed within a couple of weeks of use!

Clearly a new replacement stylus should be free from these concerns.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Not necessarily. My ADC's are near fifty years old and just fine on their original styli.
    I thought there was only a certain amount of time they could be used before wear and excessive damage to records.

I will look at the stylus. It did come on a deck that had been in storage. I dont know the history of anything so I thought it best just to start with something guaranteed as NOS by a respected supplier.

As Barry says I will look for suspension issues but at this stage I wouldnt know if the suspension is weak or due to pack up

Cheers
    Martin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12