+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turntable PSU's.

I'm Alex.

Default Turntable PSU's.

How can external PSU's from different manufacturers make a turntable sound any different?
    Surely if the standard PSU can supply enough power for the motor to drive the platter at a constant speed then that is sufficient?
    Or is this the whole point and a standard PSU isn't quite up to the job of maintaining a 100% accurate and constant speed?
    Or is it electrical 'noise' introduced by lower specification PSU's which is the problem and fancy PSU's are reducing/eliminating this noise?

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by alcarmichael View Post
    How can external PSU's from different manufacturers make a turntable sound any different?
    Surely if the standard PSU can supply enough power for the motor to drive the platter at a constant speed then that is sufficient?
    Or is this the whole point and a standard PSU isn't quite up to the job of maintaining a 100% accurate and constant speed?
    Or is it electrical 'noise' introduced by lower specification PSU's which is the problem and fancy PSU's are reducing/eliminating this noise?
    Possibly using a bit different current could make the motor run quieter? As to whether it is AC or DC, DC has been said to be quieter, but you've got to change the motor for that. I use a power supply conditioner to supply power to the motor, and it gives me a very stable speed. But it's just the conditioner for the entire stereo, not just for the 'table. So a very stable voltage with a smooth sinewave could theoretically make the motor run smoother and at an exact speed. Vs a supply that is not well filtered or noisy. I know VPI makes an external voltage control for their 'tables, expensive as heck! But it can alter the frequency and change the speed from 33 to 45 without moving the pulley. There's some electrical magic there! People claim to hear great improvements in rhythm and pace, but I'm skeptical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I have one of Nick's LDA regenerating power supplies, which is made for decks with mains AC motors like Garrards and Lencos. It makes an obvious improvement.

Guess it could also be used with other decks as long as the rated output isn't exceeded.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm martin.

I had a Lingo mk 1 on my LP 12 from when they we released but changed to a Naim Armeggedon about 7 years ago or more. With the Naim I found the notes were much much clearer.

Regards,

Martin

I'm Alex.

I'm not disputing that they don't sound different, personally though I've never done a comparison. I'm just interested to know why they sound different. I can understand mechanical reasoning but electrical engineering is magic!

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by alcarmichael View Post
    I'm not disputing that they don't sound different, personally though I've never done a comparison. I'm just interested to know why they sound different. I can understand mechanical reasoning but electrical engineering is magic!
    I would not expect that many people are in a position to do a direct comparison. I upgraded my LP12 with a Lingo and my Heybrook TT2 with a TPS based on the word of journalists at a time when I had money to burn and a desire to get the decks to a high a spec as possible.

The problem is that the decks had to be sent to dealers for the upgrade and a direct comparison before and after was not possible for me. These days I might consider doing digital 24 bit ASIO transfers to my PC for comparison purposes but that was not available to me back then.

In both cases when the deck was returned to me I did not perceive any significant change to sound quality. There might have been but I just don't know. The ability to change speed electronically was nice but it was an expensive way to achieve that.

I'm Alex.

I'm sure there are only very few who have done (as close to as possible) back-to-back comparisons, I read a long thread by REXTON who managed to test several on his deck. I'm more interested in an explanation as to why they may/do sound different. Like I said in the first post, if the original PSU can keep the platter spinning at a constant RPM then why would a high spec PSU make a turntable sound any different?

Obviously the explanation would need to be carried out in such a way that my non electrical brain can understand it.

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cre009 View Post
    In both cases when the deck was returned to me I did not perceive any significant change to sound quality. There might have been but I just don't know.
    To me, if you did not perceive any significant change to sound quality, there wasn't one - certainly not a significant one.
    Some people pride themselves on achieving each tiny incremental change in sound quality and will undertake many A/B comparisons to arrive at them. Some people are more content to leave things as they are if they good. I think I may have migrated from the first camp to the second over the years.

I'm Adam.

I have listened to A/B Comparisons of LP12s at Cymbiosis with Peter Swain, believe me there is a difference.
    Peter has many different decks set up to test against each other and can offer a very clear demo for non believers.
    The Radikal DC motor is far superior to the AC motors resulting in improved sound quality.
    As for how or why DC offers a lower noise infiltration to the pick up point I have no idea...
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    The Radikal DC motor is far superior to the AC motors resulting in improved sound quality.
    I don't think the OP was saying that a change of motor couldn't be heard. I think he was asking how a different power supply for the same motor could make a difference to the sound.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast