+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Power Supply options for RPI

I'm Richard.

Default Power Supply options for RPI

I've just put together a Raspberry pi streamer coupled to an Audiophonics v2 DAC. What's the consensus on power supplies?

At the moment I'm using the standard Pi supply, but not sure whether to go for the Audiophonics low noise LPS or the ifi ipower.

Any thoughts?

I'm Josie.

I use the SBooster linear PSU with mine and it's smashing so I'd recommend one of those.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Richard.

Very nice, more than I would like to pay though.

I'm Simon.

What about a HDPlex LPS? They're not cheap but for the price a real value for money device. It will power multiple items too so could be a worthwhile investment. I currently use mine to power a Rpi2, my phono stage and my USB hub connected to the Rpi2 (which powers 2 external drives). I've still got connections to spare also!

http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-Fanles...CE-device.html

I'm Luke.

I'm also considering the ipower. Probably better than a standard switching supply through the micro usb port on the Pi, but due to the Pi's poor (noisy) power regulator the real advantage comes from powering the DAC through the appropriate GPIO pins, which backpowers the Pi (if using an onboard DAC, obviously).

While this bypasses the noisy regulator, it also bypasses a protective fuse, so there might be some risk, apparently, depending on how well your supply is regulated.

I'm still trying to work out how to attach the ipower in this way without soldering (need to work out whether appropriate adapters exist!), and whether the ipower is good enough to do this safely, though I'm pretty sure it will be.

I'm Josie.

I'd be interested in trying a battery option. It's been on the cards for ages.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Richard.

Quite lucky with the Audiophonics dac, it's got a 5v input I can use instead of the micro usb on the pi.

I'm Luke.

Such a simple thing to do, I wish Allo had done this with the Boss! Still, will hopefully crack it...

danilo Guest

Interesting I have an unused Pi and anb Audiophonics gizmo. Also A drawer full of Nicad batteries.
    Hmmm :-) One day... but TBH it's faded from interest.
    Nicads have been tested for clean power output... in the past, when battery power was a current topic
    Results were hampered by the fact that Nicads output was Sooo Clean that it was below the Test Lab Gear thresholds.
    Not quite so clean an output for most /all other batteries though.
    Decide soonish ..as Nicads are quickly dissapeariing

I'm David.

My ifi power supply has suddenly become noticeably noisy, the standard pi power supply is now actually quieter. Just ordered one of these to try

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast