+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Howdy from UK!

I'm Sean.

Wel there you go, each to their own of course. I see my hi-fi as items to grace my living room and my eyes as well as reproduce sound; it's furniture too I guess!

Glad to hear good reports of the CD7300 too; they come up on eBay in the UK (in champagne) quite rarely, so I guess I'm in for a long wait potentially. I missed out on one last month (I got lost on a work visit in a godforsaken place in the countryside with no road signs - on a bike - so arrived home half an hour too late to bid - & there was only one bidder!)

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I never buy anything on looks. Capability and value are all that concern me. I don't even care what colour my cars are (but I might draw the line at lime green or pink ).
    Yes that is admirable but I must admit that when I look at a Nait 2 or a Nytech sloping 252, I am willing them to sound good. I lovingly look at the A60 and T21 and just have to have them. I do generally read all I can about new products and I will go for a demonstration at a decent hifi shop....Cornflake shop style preferred... I want to see a guy in jeans, a comfy sofa and a sparse layout of very well chosen gear.

You are right but I think looks can play a part if only subconsciously. Those NAD fascias were mighty plasticky though
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 10-05-2017 at 18:00.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by beelzebomb View Post
    Wel there you go, each to their own of course. I see my hi-fi as items to grace my living room and my eyes as well as reproduce sound; it's furniture too I guess!

Glad to hear good reports of the CD7300 too; they come up on eBay in the UK (in champagne) quite rarely, so I guess I'm in for a long wait potentially. I missed out on one last month (I got lost on a work visit in a godforsaken place in the countryside with no road signs - on a bike - so arrived home half an hour too late to bid - & there was only one bidder!)
    A couple came up on the bay fairly recently. I would buy another but Im not in the market for one yet. I quite like my black one but I know what you mean about the champagne. My champagne tuner looks lovely and I even managed to find a brand new original remote for it.

Patience is a virtue when looking for something specific

I do love the brushed gold. I have some Teac Minidisc players in the champagne. I mix black and champagne. I have a little too much black and get new speakers and racks in wood look colours now.

I dont mind silver as long as its not that cheap spray plastic vcr silver...it needs to be brushed aluminium or a nice finish. Generally champagne wins every time over silver

All the best
    Martin

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    I do love the brushed gold. I have some Teac Minidisc players in the champagne. I mix black and champagne. I have a little too much black and get new speakers and racks in wood look colours now
    Oddly enough. The equipment I like generally seems to come only in black, so apart from speakers, black is the predominant colour of my system. Which I like, as even though there's a lot of it, it's less obtrusive than silver or champagne.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Sean.

It's a UK 'thing' too; we have traditionally preferred black hi-fi stuff, whereas champagne and silver seem to be more dominant on the continent and in Japan (you only have to look at how many turn up for sale abroad compared to the UK).

I'm Geoff.

As far as I'm concerned, my gear is not there to be seen, let alone admired. It's for listening to music with. Although I admit, I do like the way it looks. More purposeful than pretty.

A recent shot.

That's only part of what I have.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Yes I agree. I like a purposeful look. I have never wanted to pay a premium for designer units or hiding controls behind flaps.

I have several five shelf racks packed with equipment and thats the way I like it. I suppose I could even hide some of it if I was bothered.

I dont mind wires, seperate dacs and headphone amps

I think it is there for a casual glance of admiration. There is something about the knowing look of valves projecting up. I dont think there is much equipment I would consider ugly. I will consider the way something looks though

I love the 252 for its functional looks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12