+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howdy from UK!

I'm Sean.

Default Howdy from UK!

I'm here to seek out Marantz champagne kit basically, and to get any opinions on whatever I'm in the hunt for!
    My iPod breaking made me realise I'd drifted away from listening 'live' and being forced to play CDs other than just copying them made me realise what I'd been missing all over again. So with renewed enthusiasm I've embarked on upgrading. Some Wharfedale 10.1 speakers (beautiful looking) on Mission stands plus Marantz CD5001 and CD5000 sitting on a bomb proof Target hifi stand picked up on Gumtree for just 30 quid (including delivery!) have become a reinvigorated joy.
    Now, I plan to find a Marantz CD7300 to see if it beats the 2 I've got (legendary rare Philips DAC on the CD5000? I honestly don't notice any difference, plus the display is awful!) and find a nice matching amp in champagne too.
    Oh, and I'll be looking at soundproofing my living room walls too - worrying about bass disturbing the neighbours isn't so relaxing!

I'm Ian.

Hi Sean and welcome to the forum. I really like Marantz equipment and recently renovated my old SD230 cassette deck bought new back in 1984. Enjoy the forum and join in when you like.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    Hi Sean and welcome to the forum. I really like Marantz equipment and recently renovated my old SD230 cassette deck bought new back in 1984. Enjoy the forum and join in when you like.

Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Sean.

Nice, there's something about vintage equipment- as long as it works!

I'm Martin.

Hi Sean

The Marantz CD7300 is a nice player. I have one and you can still get the Philips laser units for them. Its never given me a moments trouble and sounds great. You can switch the display off and its a solid, well made bit of kit

I have Marantz equipment in the black and champagne gold. I managed to find an ST6000 champagne tuner brand new in the box for £24...now thats a bargain....and the guy had met Joe Ackroyd so even more of a nice purchase.

I was trying to restore a Philips CD104 with the CDM1 mechanism but had to sell it to an expert restorer in the end

Glad to see you are into good value for money kit like me.

Watch out for the dot matrix display on certain well used Marantz items as it fades in patches. Its never happened to my carefully used equipment but Ive seen it on certain displays

Best wishes
    Martin

I'm Geoff.

Hello Sean. Welcome to AOS.

Sounds like you'll be having fun organising your new system. Good luck tracking down the bits you need.

As for soundproofing a room. That's tricky. Damping out higher frequencies is much easier than controlling bass notes, which tend to travel through most materials.

There's lots going on here, so take a look around and join in the chat.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Sean.

Thanks all,
    Good to hear that the CD player I'm chasing holds up well - I think that once you get to know a brand (in my case Marantz) it becomes logical to stick with them, and they seem to build things to last as well. Though finding out about the timeline for anything from 2000-2007ish is pretty hard. Yes, the dot matrix display seems to be a bit hit and miss prior to the CD5001 (which I have and the display is superb - easy to read and bright compared to the poor CD5000 display).
    As for soundproofing, I just want to take the edge off; my house is semi-detached and was built in the sixties before building regs forced builders to consider privacy and sound. There's a few sites out there that offer plasterboard panels which I'm looking at & luckily the chimney breast will not need doing, so it's not so much area (m2). It doesn't need to be studio/rehearsal room quality.

As for Marantz CD players from that hard to find out about period, here's what I've found out date-wise after some research:

Cd5000 - 1999
    Cd6000 - 2000 ? (mid range?)
    Cd6000 OSE - 2000
    Cd6000 LE - ?
    dr6000 - 2001 (cost new around £500) recorder
    Cd7300 - 2002 (cost new around £300 - mid range - replaced cd6000)
    Cd5400 - 2003 (cheaper version of cd7300 basically)
    Cd5400 OSE - (cost new around £180?)
    Cd4000 -2003
    Cd5001 - 2005 (cost new around £160 - no champagne version)
    Cd5001 OSE - (cost new around £250 - no champagne version)

I'm Martin.

Yes I know everyone goes a bit mad for the CD 63 but I feel the 7300 is every bit as good.

I had the first Marantz 63B top loader with the graph on the top . I was forced to sell that way before time. I loved that unit which ok was based on a Philips 100/101.

I just thought Marantz had a value for money period in the early 2000s and I got them on a clearance sale so it was a no brainer. I didnt do the full auditions I should have done. I considered NAD but find them a bit plasticky. I know looks shouldnt swing it but brand loyalty and the clearance sale did.

I just find Marantz offer solid value for money in giving a good sound. I havent heard the very latest Marantz cd players.

If you ensure laser parts are still available the Marantz players should be a good buy

My last tribute to cd players may be another top loader to remind me of my entry into the cd market

All the best
    Martin

I'm Sean.

Yes, we shouldn't feel guilty going for looks, it has to look good. But I think we do a bit - it makes you feel a bit like you're buying a car on colour alone sometimes!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by beelzebomb View Post
    Yes, we shouldn't feel guilty going for looks, it has to look good. But I think we do a bit - it makes you feel a bit like you're buying a car on colour alone sometimes!
    I never buy anything on looks. Capability and value are all that concern me. I don't even care what colour my cars are (but I might draw the line at lime green or pink ).
    Last edited by walpurgis; 09-05-2017 at 14:19.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast