+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Uneven speaker response

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    As Colloms said, there should, in a well designed system, be no need for internal damping at bass frequencies
    Assuming it's a totally non-resonant enclosure and ALL energy from the Hemholtz resonance is converted. Of course such circumstances are mythical.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Without wishing to give a full description and analysis which is time consuming and accessible in text books, I think what I have said is clear, coherent, and accurate Matt.

Yes the role of the port is to augment bass and in so doing it reduces the cone excursion at and around f0, and below resonance the excursion of the woofer is decreasingly controlled to the point at which it is not at all, the O/Ps being in antiphase.

The particular ratio of excursion of the woofer and port air is design and alignment dependant; it is not a fixed ratio.

I am merely asserting that near resonance, where the port is functioning, wadding may be impeding the air flow which is relatively high under those conditions. As Colloms said, there should, in a well designed system, be no need for internal damping at bass frequencies, and this implies that there be a large void internally to allow airflow at these frequencies.

Wadding may have been displaced and be blocking airflow at the port.

There are pictures of the inside of Tannoys illustrating just such an approach; the wadding is fixed to the walls to not impede airflow at LF.
    Sorry for being pedantic Dennis. Text speak always comes across a bit serious or robotic (unless you're a good writer - which I'm not). Anyway, I see what you're saying now.

(Get those drivers out Adrian and have a good look)

I'm Dennis.

Whether or not the enclosure is resonant or not is a side issue to the fundamental point; of course we want that to be zero, and it never is.

Actually Matt I do not like text speak, my shorthand is from decades ago when they were standard in telecoms and electronics - a taste of things to come.

LF, HF, Xmission, I/P, O/P, numerous mathematical ones and those of course used by speaker designers, eg. Cas, Xmax, F0, F3.
    I don't know what BIN is though. (OMG LOL SpkL8R)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234