+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADC XLM Mk III Improved..... Worth Keeping?

I'm Martin.

Default ADC XLM Mk III Improved..... Worth Keeping?

Hi

A mint looking ADC XLM III Improved came with a Dual turntable for £20

I have been reading about Peter Pritchard and the Induced Magnetism principle. I have all the advertising literature and spec sheets on it. I can buy an original XLM II improved stylus for £60. It has a serial number hand etched on the top and it all looks the business really.

Im not sure I like the shoe stylus fit but maybe a tiny square of double sided tape will make that more solid

I have only been able to test the stylus that came with it on an old record as it looks worn and almost certainly will be well worn out.

It seems to be a nice nuanced sound with plenty of detail....doesnt seem too kind on surface noise but it will be worn so thats not a worry. Seems to add something over say an AT95.....more atmosphere and a certain involvement in the music

It tracks at 0.75g + and is high compliance. Would it be ok on a Rega Arm or best suited to Dual /ADC ULM arms?

Basically have times moved on or is it worth treasuring this cartridge? Is it a keeper?

Best wishes
    Martin

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Since a generic replacement stylus for the XLM III is relatively inexpensive (http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merc...vc?Screen=SRCH ), I would be inclined to keep it, though your Rega arm may not be the best arm in which to mount it.

Taking figures from vinylengine.com the calculated low frequency resonance will occur at ~ 8.75Hz.

I cannot comment on the "Dual / ADC ULM" arms.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Use a microscope to check the diamond tip of the stylus. If it is not worn, you have a very fine cartridge. I'm a big fan of ADC's. In my opinion they are amongst the best non MC cartridges ever made, their transparency, depth of soundstage and detail exceed that of many MC's. If you find surface noise being emphasised, experiment with the VTA. You may find raising the back of arm a bit helps.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Use a microscope to check the diamond tip of the stylus. If it is not worn, you have a very fine cartridge. I'm a big fan of ADC's. In my opinion they are amongst the best non MC cartridges ever made, their transparency, depth of soundstage and detail exceed that of many MC's. If you find surface noise being emphasised, experiment with the VTA. You may find raising the back of arm a bit helps.
    Agree - which is why I have four of them. Not only are they a fine sounding breed, generic replacement stylii for them are inexpensive.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Yes Thanks. I can still source the original stock which would seem much better than the generic replacements. Im not sourcing nude tips from Japan or anything hard to find

I havent given it a full test yet but it seems something fairly special and I see it had fans

I have a jewellers loupe and the tip looks very dirty. I wouldnt really know about wear but I have seen profile pictures. I suppose £60 for a NOS stylus seems reasonable

I think for say £75 all in with a NOS XLM II tip it will be a VFM listen.

Cheers I have it on a spare Dual Headshell which are my dabble decks for trying things out. Its probably not ideal to put on an RP3 but I will keep it

All the best
    Martin

I'm King.

The ADC XLM Mk III Improved was the second cartridge that I bought in the seventies. At that time I was using a JVC QL70 turntable and SME series 3 tonearm. It was an excellent tracker and one of the best sounding moving magnet cartridges at that period.
    King

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Yes Thanks. I can still source the original stock which would seem much better than the generic replacements. Im not sourcing nude tips from Japan or anything hard to find

I havent given it a full test yet but it seems something fairly special and I see it had fans

I have a jewellers loupe and the tip looks very dirty. I wouldnt really know about wear but I have seen profile pictures. I suppose £60 for a NOS stylus seems reasonable

I think for say £75 all in with a NOS XLM II tip it will be a VFM listen.

Cheers I have it on a spare Dual Headshell which are my dabble decks for trying things out. Its probably not ideal to put on an RP3 but I will keep it

All the best
    Martin
    The XLM II is nice, but not as good as the XLM III, so try to obtain the correct stylus.

It's worth cleaning the original stylus properly with decent cleaning fluid (isopropyl alchohol with distilled water). I don't use this on MC's, but have used it on ADC's since the seventies with no problems. I use a small soft art brush with the bristles cut down to about 5mm.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I use an electronic stylus cleaner with a carbon fibre bristle pad:

Depending on how the stylus is bonded to the cantilever, I will sometimes apply one drop of neat isopropyl alcohol to the pad.
    Barry

I'm Hugh.

I'd say that an SME Series 2 would be the ideal arm for it. I ran an ADC ZLM in one back in the day and it sounded superb.

The SME series 3, or the ADC arm is another option. Either way, it needs a pretty low mass arm if you really want to get the best out of it. The ADC XLM and ZLM were designed in a different era with a set of priorities that some find it difficult to get their heads round nowadays.

I'm James.

The ADC - XLM- 111 Improved is a great cartridge although I think the XLM ii improved is better. Definitely worth keeping and getting a replacement stylus for although the replacements are not as good as the original which you may still be able to find on ebay? I had the ADC XLM ii improved with original stylus and it was superb but I was a bit nervous of the suspension falling apart which is the problem with there old cartridges so I moved it on.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast