+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Townsend Rock Elite In The Loft!!!

I'm Julian.

What a superb buy - the condition looks amazing. I was so close to buying one of these back in the day.

Were they supplied with any particular tonearms originally? I can't remember ...
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post

i couldn't be happier at the moment,must stop buying now for a while and concentrate on buying vinyl!

Yes, we can see that.. It surely sounds even better with an album on it, right?

Seriously though, a great find! Congrats!
    I had a similar fortune a couple of years back, as i bought a brand new boxed Thorens TD-318 Mk III with a "fault", sitting in the loft of one of my then customers! The fault was as simple as adjusting the sprung chassis and was fine!

Here with a 2M Blue as i didnt want to crack open the OM20 which was included.

Anyway, great find and hope you'll enjoy it!
    Cheers /Mike

I'm Dennis.

Neglecting my core philosophical stance, and giving in to my aesthetic feelings, that looks like a wonderful combination, well made parts, succinct and solid, I'd love it.

I'm jamie.

i wonder could you say what your core philosophical stance is?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Shaun.

I had one of those back in 2005. It is not the original Rock but the MkII version. Mine was fitted with an Alphason HR100S MCS tonearm but I can't remember the cartridge. I have some kind of memory that it may have been an Ortofon Kontrapunkt.

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    It is not the original Rock but the MkII version. Mine was fitted with an Alphason HR100S MCS tonearm.
    im listening to that combo now,stunning!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm jamie.

reflecting on this tt leaves me wondering how the hell linn argued their way out of the lp12 being better,this tt is so much better than the same year lp12.
    i wasn't into hifi then so anyone that was what happened,was it the usual linn marketing bollocks ?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Dennis.

My stance on vinyl is, that as more of an objectivist, it is such an inherently flawed medium that digital beats it on many counts; distortion, DR, noise, repeatability, lack of required care, variability of physical product, maintenance, wear, larger physical space consumption, and probably others.

It is never the less from an iconically beautiful artefact endowed age.

But I am not saying that digital is, or always sound better, but the problem with this is that we were probably all imprinted with vinyl as a new and much higher fi medium in our youth, and have its legacy.

Imprinting has a major effect on our life choices, more than we realise, and also to a greater extent than we think, so we are probably all habituated to the flaws in vinyl.

Shaun's combo sounds like an ideal one for me.

I'm jamie.

ah i see you point,for me,ive just upgraded to a better cd player and i could feel myself leaving vinyl behind,like you the hassle of setting up a cartridge and all the other variants that go with it compared to just bunging on a cd player seems a no brainer. but there's something about listening to vinyl that a cd just cant do,i dont know what it is but theres seems to be a magical moment when you get the cartrdge dialled in and sit back and listen,its a wonderful moment!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

I bought a beaten-up Rock II a couple of years back (without the Excalibur or Merlin) and following remedial work she's been a dream, with and without the trough, replacing my Pioneer PL-71 in my main system. It surprises me how little they sell for. Aside from the sonic characteristics mentioned by others they're nicely petite compared to the size of modern superdecks.

Pete

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast