+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Phil Collins - not Dead yet :)

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I dislike ELP nearly as much as Queen!
    But I don't dislike them as much as I do Genesis!

Barry

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Even though I have a huge passion for Prog Rock and early Genesis I simply adore 'A Trick of the Tale' which has to be their finest ever album
    What a coincidence - I was playing this album earlier today (Friday)

All decent tracks and prefer the mid 70s and earlier albums to the later offerings. I always felt that once Peter Gabriel left, too much influence seemed to come from Mr. Collins and they moved from prog rock to pop: At which point I felt they had sold out. That may not be true, but it was as I saw it.

I heard him being interviewed on the radio a few years ago and he was describing a medical condition (I didn't hear the earlier part of the discussion which must have stated what that actually was) which he was having test for and were it to progress would prevent him from drumming ever again.

Not sure if he was the first drummer to record the 'gated' drum sound but certainly one of the first to be credited with it and 'In the Air Tonight' jumps out as typical of that style. I believe it was used on Peter Gabriel's ' Melt' album, again drummed by PC and if the story was correct, all the drumming was performed without use of cymbals !

As you may guess, I like him as a drummer.

PS - nice avatar OUR MART (Squonk)

I'm shahrin.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    lol... Whoosh! in to another dimension.

I don't recommend them because I've had one and I found it to be more noisy than the conventional ones. I had my original idler refurbished by Hugo recently and the result is great.
    And
    Hope that helps.
    Thank you Josie.
    I ve had woes since my 124s were refurbished 2 to 3 yrs ago, one is a particularly bad rumbler.
    But as u may have seen in my thread i have diagnosed the problem, thanks to Hugo.
    Bloody washer missing in both tts!

Not too many fans of post Gabriel Genesis here, but as the poster says PC aint dead yet
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    LOL... You should try 'Brain Salad Surgery' by Emerson, Lake and Palmer
    LOL... I've tried, truly I have with ELP (well, maybe not that album) but prog just don't float my pea green boat with 3 ice skating wizards dressed as knights. Sorry.. But hey.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I dislike ELP nearly as much as Queen!
    Aww come on. Queen were just fun. Love Queen. Some albums were overrated for sure but there is nowt like a 'stomp, stomp, clap' now n then. LOL
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    prog just don't float my pea green boat with 3 ice skating wizards dressed as knights.
    LMAO, I was around fourteen when that happened and I loved it. I adore Prog Rock but have to admit that it really is living in the past for me. Very fond memories.

I'm Shaun.

For me, Queen only ever did anything great back around 1973. Queen II and Sheer Heart Attack. The rest is the equivalent of Phil Collins singing You Can't Hurry Love.

I'm Jez.

I only really like the PC Genesis.... too prog noodling under PG!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I only really like the PC Genesis.... too prog noodling under PG!
    Singing under PG- tend to agree, but his drumming was exceptional - hardly noodling in the PG years. and after IMO.

He also played drums in Brand X and did a session with Robert Fripp, and many offshoots like
    Robin Lumley Marscape and Anthony Philips. Listening to Genesis Live, it has drumming no one else
    could ever do.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234