+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phil Collins - not Dead yet :)

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Even though I have a huge passion for Prog Rock and early Genesis I simply adore 'A Trick of the Tale' which has to be their finest ever album and certainly their most accessible album before slipping into dire mediocrity.
    Of the stuff that Phil Collins wrote from his own heart, my favourite is definitely 'The Roof Is Leaking' from the Face Value album. Fantastic on vinyl, OK on CD. When I was young..!
    I think i would have to include 'A Trick of the Tail' in my all time top 20 Albums & possibly Wind & Wuthering but not really into Phil's Solo stuff

Arcam Alpha 9 & 9P
    Arcam Alpha 7SE
    Mission 752 Freedom
    RP2 Deck
    Technics SL1210MK2 (To upgrade)

I'm Shaun.

I was such a die hard Prog Rock fan that I just wouldn't accept anything by Genesis that didn't feature Peter Gabriel but as time has gone by I have realised that the two intermediate albums by them were simply brilliant.
    In fact, of all the albums Genesis created until their departure from reality, my now personal favourite is indeed 'A Trick of the Tale'. It has this stunning blend of Prog Rock fantasy with a more commercial overtone. As a Genesis fan since 1973 I won't even consider with any seriousness the utter drivel they produced after 'Wind and Wuthering'.

Of the Phil Collins solo stuff though, I think that 'Face Value' was a damn fine album. Having read his book I now find that I dislike him even more than I used to.

I'm Martin.

What is in his book that's so bad?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by drSM View Post
    my sentiments exactly BlackAdder. Now that i have yr attention why do u not recommend the metal O ring idlers for the td124 ?
    (i ll allow myself to go off topic here )
    lol... Whoosh! in to another dimension.

I don't recommend them because I've had one and I found it to be more noisy than the conventional ones. I had my original idler refurbished by Hugo recently and the result is great.

Hope that helps.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Pictures.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Apparently, the truth.

I'm Martin.

All very cryptic. Do I have to buy the book to find out? (Not that I would of course).
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Josie.

He didn't look well on the last series of 'House of Fools' with Vic & Bob. Anyone see that? I didn't recognise him at first.

I don't know what why he's ill but hope he gets better.

Best track I can tolerate is 'in the air at night'... I had the lamb that did something on broadway album and it was okay... best track was one called Carpet Crawlers... love that track to this day. In all, a bit too 'prog' for me... still a good listen.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    In all, a bit too 'prog' for me... still a good listen.
    LOL... You should try 'Brain Salad Surgery' by Emerson, Lake and Palmer

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    LOL... You should try 'Brain Salad Surgery' by Emerson, Lake and Palmer
    I dislike ELP nearly as much as Queen!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast