+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New power amp

I'm Jez.

Default New power amp

Just getting "first sound" from a new prototype power amp. About half an hour listening done so far and I'm liking what I hear.
    It's solid state, class A and was designed after a lot of thinking about differences in the way valve and SS power amps function and with an eye on getting more valve like sound. Not in any lush or warm way but more that "presence" and immediacy a good valve amp can give.

It may or may not end up being a product but it was designed with that as a possible outcome

It's readily configurable in a wide range of power outputs, degrees of class A bias etc.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Geoff.

That's interesting Jez. Looking forward to seeing that one.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Oliver.

Any pics Jez?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Alphason HR100 MCS > Toshiba SR 370 Turntable > ZYX R50 Bloom cartridge > Firebottle OTP MK2 Phono Stage > Firebottle Monoblocks > Creek OBH-11SE Headphone Amp > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Any pics Jez?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    NO! It's a prototype lash up and as always with such things is a circuit board and heatsinks etc laying on the carpet. Also I've kind of learned that no matter how much you explain to people that something is a prototype, designed ONLY to be listened to and not looked at, and that it bears ZERO resemblance to any finished product and probably will at this stage look extremely Heath Robinson and like an explosion in a Maplins.... There's still the ones who feel the need to comment on poor appearance, sharp edges, no on/off switch or LED, wires hanging out all over etc etc etc. Some just don't seem to "get it" that this is a stage most products from any company go through in early development. Personally I have no interest in pics of gear anyway but it seems I'm in a minority here!

Anyhow to get back to more important aspects, a few more details... It's DC coupled as in actually goes down flat to DC, is flat to beyond 100KHz at the other end, uses lateral MOSFETs in the output stage (expensive but very good and extremely reliable) and can be built as anything from a sub 10WPC amp for use with sensitive speakers and up to 300WPC+ at the other extreme. It can also be built with varying degrees of class A output, the more the better of course but also more expensive...

I wish I could discuss the meat of the thing, what really makes it different etc, but as with any new product one cannot be giving away "trade secrets"!

As it goes down all the way to DC I may make a historical nod to the NAD 3020 and label the DC inputs "Lab In" and have a second set of AC coupled inputs... The only difference is a capacitor in line when the AC inputs are in use....

I may well build a linear regulated supply to power the whole amp.... It's running from my bench power supply at the moment for testing and that is of course a linear regulated supply. Not many amps do this as the circuitry is in effect another amplifier and not cheap! Other units which do use a regulated supply are fairly thin on the ground but include the Naim NAP250 and various other models, Quad 303 and several Radford SS amps such as the SPA50 (there will obviously be others but I can't think of any...) Apart from running the whole thing from really pure DC (you'd be shocked how bad the power in a typical SS amp looks on a scope!!) there are other advantages to a regulated supply such as being able to build over-current protection, DC offset protection, thermal protection and slow start into the power supply

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Sounds interesting Jez.

Not sure if such a wide bandwidth is really necessary though: I would prefer to see -3dB points at 5Hz and, say, 50kHz respectively.

DC output protection is a must however.
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Sounds interesting Jez.

Not sure if such a wide bandwidth is really necessary though: I would prefer to see -3dB points at 5Hz and, say, 50kHz respectively.

DC output protection is a must however.
    One can always very easily limit the bandwidth to any degree deemed suitable with simple 1st order filters at the input but adding bandwidth is vastly more tricky!!
    With wide bandwidth goes fast transient response, fast slew rate, low or no TID and generally low distortion at high audio frequencies... all of which are highly desirable of course.

My biggest problem at the moment is too many ideas and not enough work space! I have enough test gear etc to have two work benches on the go but nowhere near the physical space to do this. The relevance being I can do customer repair work and builds etc... OR R&D into new products etc but not both at the same time... It is so frustrating to have to put aside new prototypes. breadboard constructions etc just when it's going well and you can almost taste that a major breakthrough is very close, but, one must earn a living and all that so often prototypes have to be left unfinished with the risk of never being able to quite go back to where you left off.

+ Reply to Thread