Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New power amp

I'm Simon.

A friend has paired KSA 100's you can't hear the fans in those from more than a couple of feet away- and that's four fans.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    A friend has paired KSA 100's you can't hear the fans in those from more than a couple of feet away- and that's four fans.
    The trick is to use large fans turning slowly

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I wish I could discuss the meat of the thing, what really makes it different etc, but as with any new product one cannot be giving away "trade secrets"!
    Oops, that's one trade secret given away

I'm Jez.

I don't think it's much of a secret

I'm Edward.

50WPC is a huge beast of a class A amp! 10WPC is more like what I had in mind....
    The sky's the limit if one has a fat enough wallet and doesn't want to use anything but the amplifier as winter heating

People seem to be hugely against fan cooling as well which makes things a lot more expensive for bigger class A amps (not needed for 10-20WPC usually). I don't have an issue with them myself as I have found it easily done to make them so quiet you can't hear them unless within a yard or so of the amp in an otherwise silent room. Without fan cooling the heatsinks need to be up to about 5 - 10 times bigger and they are not cheap! The case then needs to be commensurately larger to accommodate the size and weight of the heatsinks, again not cheap....

Thanks Jez. The 50w was sort of a joke, I did reckon you were thinking of 10w or even less.

Anyway I replied to your PM - thanks for that

Speaking of high powered amps - I have my beady eyes on a minty Nakamichi PA-7 (Nelson Pass design) which a friend has stashed away in a corner not being used. The weight of that is hernia inducing.

In one of my computer self builds I have a side mounted fan of 24cm spinning slowly. Reduces temps far better than the normal fans.
    Source: Win10 server, Win10 Mini-ITX Renderer running JRiver
    DAC / Preamp: Perreaux DP32
    Amp: Radford Revival STA25, TubeHunter Class D IRS2092
    Speakers:, Kudos Cardea C2, Acoustic Research 8BX (modded)
    Power Conditioner: ISOtek Qube 1kw
    Currently resting: Chevron Paradox NDF16 DAC, Radford Revival Prototype preamp, Paul Baldwin 405C amp, Arcam 290P, Sony TA-VA8ES, PMC LB1 Signature, Micromega MyDac

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post

Speaking of high powered amps - I have my beady eyes on a minty Nakamichi PA-7 (Nelson Pass design) which a friend has stashed away in a corner not being used. The weight of that is hernia inducing.

That's a crime leaving that unused. I'd say get it off him at any cost but I see you already have a Radford so no point.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Sony X505ES CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / NVA A30 Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S Thompson

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That's a crime leaving that unused. I'd say get it off him at any cost but I see you already have a Radford so no point.

You are correct - never leave a crime scene without doing something.

We often lend things to each other so I may borrow it - the issue is finding space to place it, it really is a beast of an amp. If I remember the Nak can be stood upright so I may simply place it on the floor.

I'm intrigued how the sound compares to the Radford.
    Currently resting: Chevron Paradox NDF16 DAC, Radford Revival Prototype preamp, Paul Baldwin 405C amp, Arcam 290P, Sony TA-VA8ES, PMC LB1 Signature, Micromega MyDac

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    You are correct - never leave a crime scene without doing something.

We often lend things to each other so I may borrow it - the issue is finding space to place it, it really is a beast of an amp. If I remember the Nak can be stood upright so I may simply place it on the floor.

I'm intrigued how the sound compares to the Radford.
    Got the same issue with this krell I have now so I did the same just stuck it on the floor. It's a solid=state power amp, it doesn't care.

Would be good to hear a comparison of that and the Radord, or hear about it, at least. I'm a big fan of the Radford STA15, and I guess the STA25 is the same deal.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Sony X505ES CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / NVA A30 Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S Thompson

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I agree. It's one of the Stasis models that Pass designed and will sound wonderful! A different sound to a Radford, but probably in no way inferior. It will require a high quality pre-amp though. And don't use it on the floor, It's likely to need good air circulation around it.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I agree. It's one of the Stasis models that Pass designed and will sound wonderful! A different sound to a Radford, but probably in no way inferior. It will require a high quality pre-amp though. And don't use it on the floor, It's likely to need good air circulation around it.
    The preamp would be the mosfet/valve hybrid prototype made by one Will Moores of Radford Revival fame, a member of this parish. You will not get a better preamp (IMO).

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12