+ Reply to Thread
Page 83 of 123 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mike New Technics Bearing

I'm John.

Systemdek?

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kipling View Post
    No, I don't think it was either of them.
    According to the design section on the Mitchell website, I would say Mitchell.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Stephen.

Sorry. I'm not saying Mitchell designs didn't have this feature, but I'm pretty sure it's some other manufacture that I have in mind.

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by potatoha View Post
    Early Michell decks until they changed for an oil pumping design with bore hole channel and some Kenwood Trio KP/KD series DD drives I can think of.
    Not quite, it's a current feature, I think you'll find - the spiral takes the oil up & the hole returns it to the well at the base.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Not quite, it's a current feature, I think you'll find - the spiral takes the oil up & the hole returns it to the well at the base.
    Thanks for the correction Chris. I just saw that Michell has the spiral in the housing rather than the spindle itself like many other designs. It's such a clever design as it will always provide the right amount of lubrication without leaving any excess oil being trapped.

I'm Stephen.

My thanks to 184.

No it's not Rek-o-Kut that I'm thinking of either. It was a review of deck in Hi Fi Answers from the late '70s or early '80s that I remember it being mentioned. I don't think it was the Systemdek or a Mitchell - but I could be wrong.

I do, of course, mean Michell.

Sorry.
    Last edited by Mr Kipling; 05-04-2014 at 11:12.

I'm Tom.

So, having recently installed a MN bearing in one of my old MK5s, I felt obliged to pop in to say: "Crikey!" and to thank Mike for engineering this beast. I've found it difficult to tear myself away from the turntable since installing it, digging out lots of old vinyl-only releases (just had a 90s jungle session ) that I've not listened to in ages, just to hear how they sound. Bloody marvellous!

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Quote Originally Posted by .mus View Post
    So, having recently installed a MN bearing in one of my old MK5s, I felt obliged to pop in to say: "Crikey!" and to thank Mike for engineering this beast. I've found it difficult to tear myself away from the turntable since installing it, digging out lots of old vinyl-only releases (just had a 90s jungle session ) that I've not listened to in ages, just to hear how they sound. Bloody marvellous!
    It's a fantastic bearing isn't it! Hopefully i won't have to wait too long to get mine and this time keep hold of it Play any photek during your session? He made some amazing tracks back in the day!
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by .mus View Post
    Mine is on its way from Mike as we speak Can't wait

Turntable 1: Technics SL1210M5G/ KAB PSU/ KAB Fluid Damper
    Turntable 2: Rega P3 (new) Tangospinner & dual belt/ Rega Neo
    Amplifier: Rega Elex-R
    RIAA: Rega Fono mk3 & Schiit Mani
    Speaker: Klipsch RP280f
    Cartridge: Rega Exact & Nagaoka MP-110

I'm Chris.

Two days ago I finally received my MN Bearing ordered directly from Mike in Australia. Thank you Mike for answering my emails in such detail.

It was easy to install and also I have taken the original bearing out for cleaning/ re-oiling before, so the only difference was to snap off the solder points.

I let the TT be on for 24 hour straight and then another 24 hours. So what did I hear. To me it was more like what I did'nt hear. The background was quiter and then the rest of the music came out better in every way. It's subtle but then it's not. I can compare it to LCD blacklevel vs plasma blacklevel (as in Pioneer Kuro/ my Panasonic VT50). The rest of the picture gets so much better when the blacklevel is deep. This is what the bearing does for me. But I did notice that I had clearer mids and tighter bass.

Lots of new stuff in my system these two last weeks On tuesday I got my Line Magnetic LM218iA tube amplifier. It is a single ended triode with 22 watts class A. Huge 845-tubes, two EL-34 Philps replica from Psvane. 35 kg! And yesterday I got a Denon DL-103. I use a Isokinetic Denon DL-103'Stabilizer that is glued on to the cartridge and the spacer is threaded. Adds mass, function as a spacer and reduces resonance.

I must also say that the DL-103 playes rings around my Ortofon Rondo Red MC. And that is even before the 103 is run in.

I'm listening to a new pressing of the Dave Brubeck Quartet. A 180g audiphile master pressing, that sounds absolutely fantastic. The single ended triode, together wtih the 1210mk2 and DL-103 is a fantastic match, really. I also bought from ebay a 22 gram aux weight, so I easily balanse out the arm with the Sumiko/ spacer combo.

My Technics SL-1210mk2 is really entering high end... I now know what "air" and midrange is all about

Thank you Mike and Marco for convincing me that the MN bearing was the right upgrade for me
    Attached Images Attached Images

Turntable 1: Technics SL1210M5G/ KAB PSU/ KAB Fluid Damper
    Turntable 2: Rega P3 (new) Tangospinner & dual belt/ Rega Neo
    Amplifier: Rega Elex-R
    RIAA: Rega Fono mk3 & Schiit Mani
    Speaker: Klipsch RP280f
    Cartridge: Rega Exact & Nagaoka MP-110

+ Reply to Thread
Page 83 of 123 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast