+ Reply to Thread
Page 123 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123
Results 1,221 to 1,228 of 1228

Thread: The Mike New Technics Bearing

Mike_New Guest

Hi Chris,
    You can place a few drops of oil around the top of the Bearing.
    However to be very honest I am not sure how much of it will penetrate down the Bearing shaft as the
    extremely closely honed fitting between the shaft and the vacuum oil filled Syntered-Phosphor-Bronze
    insert is only a few microns. (1 micron = 0.0000001")
    The Phos Bronz insert actually carries all the oil required.
    Some of the earlier users have been using their Bearing for more than 6 years, I have been using mine since I first made it.

If I can take this opportunity to explain:

Sadly many people cannot understand that it is the closeness of fit between the shaft and it's "vertical" support
    which determines how well it performs. The end of the shaft could sit on the Statue of Liberty for all the difference it would make!.
    What the end of the shaft is supported by has little effect on performance as the platter cannot jump up and down
    as it rotates on such a small support area. Think about it!!!!
    What does matter is the flopping about of the shaft from side to side, pivoting on it's end support as the
    shaft rotates. Which occurs when the shaft fit is less than tight and smooth as is the case with the standard bearing.

consider this: if the top of the shaft wobbles by as little as 1/10 thousandth of an inch; how much does the outer
    surface of the 12" dia. platter wobble up and down by????? the math is relatively simple!
    Also harmonics as the record is "played" will contribute to this movement especially with the standard platter which is "bell shaped"
    This is why I constantly state that messing about with the standard bearing does nothing to increase it's engineering performance
    in regard to it's suitability to support an audio platter.
    I am sorry but what I state are merely facts of engineering physics.

Thus endeth the lesson.

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_New View Post
    The oil just drains away down the spindle and out the other end, resulting in the spindle running "dry" after a few days
    which is why I guess the whole bearing becomes loose after a while due to wear.
    We the willing, working for the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
    We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

I'm Jonathan.

@MikeNew
    Any ETP platter, Bearing and shafts available in Stock?

How much would it be for the full package (special pricing?) and shipment to Portugal?

Tkx

PS: I could be willing to get a second-hand set.

Enviado do meu SM-G920F através de Tapatalk

Mike_New Guest

Hi Tiff Needle
    The ETP Platters and Base Plates are not a problem, but the Precision Bearings do need to be
    manufactured in batches. I do have 2 bearings available (which may be the last) and 1 Base Plate. The ETP Platter I will need to make for you.
    I usually make 3 at a time so no problem.
    Can you email me to discuss details.

Mike_New Guest

What has happened to Marco I have tried to email him but it gets bounced back to me
    has he gone on a extended holiday??

I'm Dimitar.

Is this special bearings as strong as the original one, because sometimes I would use my turntable as a DJ deck, only change the mat, with the DJ one. I use the standart stock platter.
    So, the original is proven in time and abuse by many DJs and it's rock solid. My questions are:
    1. Is the new one strong as the stock one?
    2. What is the long term effect on the motor, after let's say 3 years of using the new one?
    3. Is is a good match with the stock platter, because in reality, there are very good things, but when combined, just got worse.

Mike_New Guest

Hi Dimitar,
    In response to your questions as follows:
    I have supplied a number of my Bearings for DJ use
    1) My High Precision Bearing is very much stronger and more rigid than the stock one as the housing is machined from a billet of solid brass
    And the shaft is machined and polished from carbon mollibdenum steel and is 14mm in diameter!!l

2) People have had my Bearings running in their SL1200s for up to 6 years. There is no long or short term effect from using my bearing.

3) My Bearing is an excellent match for the stock platter as far as the platter is able to perform, which is not great.
    Over 300 are in use around the world.

Mike_New Guest

Hi Folks,
    It's been some time since I posted here.
    However it has become evident to me over the past 4-6 months from private emails, that people who have moved on from the SL1200 are
    stripping down their updated SL1200s and reverting them to standard before offering them on Ebay or else where. And are selling
    their Bearings and Base plates separately. I guess they believe that they can sell their standard SL1200 at the going rate more easily
    and also retrieve most of the money spent on the upgrades.
    For those very few people who may still be interested in using my Bearing: If you locate a Bearing for sale on Ebay remember
    to obtain the Installation Instructions.
    Last edited by Mike_New; 23-07-2017 at 00:27.

+ Reply to Thread