+ Reply to Thread
Page 102 of 123 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1228

Thread: The Mike New Technics Bearing

I'm charles.

Hi.it would lose big time,had tabriz zi on mine,and it wasnt as good, cart was rondo red,

Mike_New Guest

Hi Gareth.
    Yes I have recieved your emails but unfortunately I have been enjoying the hospitallity of my local hospital for the last 7 days.
    I have had internal bleeding which put me out of action. No cancer anywhere but very small vessels in my intestine which leek.
    So guess what!! I am going to have a pill-cam to locate the problem.

I'm Bernie.

Best of luck Mike!
    Bernie.

I'm Geoff.

Hello Mike. Hope all goes well and you are OK. I know the feeling when things go pear shaped healthwise. Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Neil.

Here's to a speedy and full recovery - God Bless

Regards Neil

I'm Gareth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_New View Post
    Hi Gareth.
    Yes I have recieved your emails but unfortunately I have been enjoying the hospitallity of my local hospital for the last 7 days.
    I have had internal bleeding which put me out of action. No cancer anywhere but very small vessels in my intestine which leek.
    Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear of your hospital stint, I didn't realise you were ill when I e-mailed. Glad to hear its not the big 'C' though, I'm currently going through that with my Dad, and its not nice.

David has sorted out a nice selection of your gear for me though, so no problem.

I hope you get well soon and make a speedy recovery.

Cheers,

Gareth
    Sources: Auralic Aries streamer + Auralic Vega DAC, Oppo BDP-105D, Technics SL-1210 MkII (modification in progress - currently all stock + Achromat + Ortofon MC-3 Turbo) | Preamp: Mark Levinson No. 326S with phono board | Amp: Mark Levinson No. 532H | Speakers: Revel Salon 2 | Cables: Chord Sarum

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_New View Post
    Hi Gareth.
    Too much vino and good living, Mikey!

Did you see this thread: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-Get-Well-Soon

Take care and get well soon, amigo.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mike.

Good to hear from you Mike

All the best for a fix and full recovery
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Robert.

Did anyone else see Noel Keywood's article in Hi-FI World ? He replaces the stock bearing with a Mike New bearing and gives his findings. The install procedure is also pictured.

Interestingly the article opens by saying (quote) that as the days of the turntable came to an end in the 1980's, Technics produced one of the slickest Direct Drive models ever; the SL1210 MK2. And continues to say it is monument to Japanese technology, that of the servo-feedback DC motor, but also a product cleverly pared down, Japanese fashion, to bare bones minima to be inexpensive. There's a lot on it that can be improved (as we here on AOS know only too well) and this includes the main bearing, say MCRU.

Anyway and to summarise some points from the article:

It says that the bearing did slightly improve sound quality by way of overall depth perspectives, bringing a smoother feel to images on the sound stage, which were set against a darker background. It also brought more solidity and stability to singers and instruments, firming the sound up to make everything a little more lifelike. The rock steady pitch stability remained so nothing was lost in this upgrade.

Measured Performance showed wow and flutter rose slightly from 0.06% to 0.1%. Their spectrum analyser showed a very low value of basic rate wow at 0.55% (33rpm), as usual with the Technics, but a flutter peak at 7hz that I have not seen before (quote).
    It continued to say that in absolute terms the degradation is not large and I suspect subjectively of little consequence. You have to bear in mind that most belt drives measure around 0.2% IEC/DIN weighted wow and flutter. This makes the Technics look good by market norms, especially at the price - and degradation from the Mike New bearing is minor in this context.
    Also, a discrete 7hz flutter peak seems unlikely to come from a bearing there is no mechanism that could generate such an effect. This suggests that stronger mechanical coupling between bearing/motor/chassis may be strongly transmitting a discrete vibration. Is this the flutter talked about with Direct Drive, making its presence known due to more rigid structure ?

An interesting article of which I copied some of as above from the copy I purchased from WHS. This is not the article in its entirety.

Noel said the MN bearing shaft was not chromed like that of the stock bearing which he felt was a tad disappointing. (Doesn't bother me in the slightest unless chromed has any sonic benefit?)

HFW gave the MN bearing upgrade four globes out of a possible five.

Verdict: A substantial but neat upgrade that improves sound quality

For: Easy to fit, well made, improves sound

Against: shaft not chrome plated, adds a little flutter

Personally, I think it is great that the Techie and it's upgrades are getting featured / reviewed over pages in such hifi magazines. Now for a feature with the MN bearing base plate also fitted

I'm Mike.

Thanks Robert

Surprising a mainstream mag doing an article on upgrading a old record deck.
    Think MCRU could be in for an order or two
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

+ Reply to Thread