+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 123 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mike New Technics Bearing

I'm Ralph.

Default The Mike New Technics Bearing

...is here, at last, and even I managed to fit it! (only needed one call to Mr. Cawley for a bit of clarification).
    So, how does it sound? Well, three sides in and without any fine tuning (rechecking VTA or re-leveling the deck as you're supposed to but I'm just to impatient for any of that stuff yet) I have to say this is fan-bloody-tastic. Everything is just so much clearer yet easier to listen to, instruments seem to exist in their own space, dynamically everything is in a different league, so much so I can back off the volume without losing any details.
    This is amazing, check back later, time for more choonz

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Sounds ace, Ralph, enjoy!

(I can hear Marco's cheque book rustling from here! )
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Ralph.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post

(I can hear Marco's cheque book rustling from here! )
    Hehe, come on Marco, you know you want to, there is no escape.

Bloody 'eck, it's a bit good is this

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

I think Marco already had one on order !

Nice one Ralph ' i thought it was going to be a bit special ' anyone else got there's yet ' Martin perhaps !
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Haha... Nice one, Ralph - glad it's hitting the spot for ya

This is where the Techy really takes off!

I'm booked in at Dave's on the 28th, so once mine is fitted, expect a full write-up, folks - and I'll be going into plenty of detail with this one

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Chris.

Hi Marco

Look forward to reading that ' i am sure it will be far more eloquent than the haphazardous affair i concocted .
    Chris

MartinT Guest

I received my Mike New bearing this morning and have installed it. No real problems with the installation except that care is required and good light vital. You certainly don't want to drop any of the 18 small pieces of wire that need trimming back onto the circuit board. Some PCB connectors need to be removed to gain good access. Nothing really to get worried about but you do need to work carefully around that gorgeous motor assembly. Also note that the earth tag needs replacing tightly if you have a TimeStep PSU installed (surely a prerequisite).

The Mike New bearing up close:

Installed in my SL-1210:

50 hours of running-in are recommended so these are my preliminary thoughts only. There is a lightness of touch and real shape to tiny cues that make music real: cymbal, bells and other percussive sounds. Positioning in space and focus around vocals are more life-like. The structure of the sound is firmer without there apparently being any more bass, and dynamics are even more in evidence. Lots of small detail enrich the experience.

The Technics does even more of what it does well: tonal neutrality, micro- and macro-dynamics, strong and extended bass, wide soundstage, very low noise floor. I'm also relieved that my other phono components (Jelco arm, Whest phono amp) have gelled together to give a performance that is more than their sum.

My AT33PTG suddenly sounds more like my Denon DL-160 in terms of musicality and sheer enthusiasm, a good thing, while still retaining its phenomenal detail and extraordinary suppression of surface noise.

I'll report further after more running-in and listening.

I'm Chris.

Superb photo's and write up Martin ' my word it does look the bis

Happy listening .
    Chris

Default Very tempting.............

I'm still right at the beginning of my Techie-tweaking journey (things move more slowly when you're forever chasing around after a 2.5yr old little boy with lots of energy!) but this mod certainly sounds like it need to be added to the "essentials" list.

Looking forward to others experiences with great interest.

Sean
    (Junior Techie-Tweaker).
    Sean.

My Gear: Bit of a Quad fanboy , so...... Quad CDP99-CDP2, Technics SL1210 MK3D, Standard arm, Sumiko Headshell, Denon DL-103R cartridge, Blu-Tak on the counterweight. Denon TU-180DAB Tuner. Apple Airport Express - Optical out into the Quad CDP. Quad 99 Pre - 909 Power Amp. PMC OB1's. Chord Epic Twin speaker cables, Wyrewizard and Merlin interconnects.

I'm Hugo.

I have today taken the plunge and ordered the Mike New bearing for my Technics!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 123 1231151101 ... LastLast