+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Speaker cabinet design

I'm Ken.

I seem to remember a thread somewhere, with 15" Tannoys using a sand filled sandwich.

The guy had scrap partition walling from a portacabin type of structure and used this, with the cavities filled with sand.

Huge and VERY heavy, but said it worked well.

I have built concrete speakers in the past that worked well, they were stolen/recovered a couple of times, the thieves just gave up and abandoned them, they were so heavy. I did investigate Lightweight concrete using Pumice stone and sourced a UK supplier for sacks of Pumice gravel at the time, but never progressed it.

I'm Dennis.

Yes Geoff I agree with your point in post 16, the passive will have to have a high compliance.

I have found that the join alone between two layers of MDF when done with PVA is a great reducer of excitability of self resonance, The two layers cannot transmit the energy easily through the PVA.

The bi-layer with sand goes way back into the 50s, and surprisingly my new ADAM Gannas use this to pretty good effect, with a Perspex window to show the sand.

danilo Guest

reads like you might also have one of those computer cases with perspex sides and 'colourful' leds

Tannoy featured twin layer 'dampened' (glue actually) enclosures for their DMT series of speakers.
    Stripper bars always had a few pairs suspended above their 'stages'

I'm Dennis.

Actually I loathe all forms of ostentation. Do you remember those jumping energy spectrum bar graphs some years ago?

The sand windows are on the back at least, and ironically taped over with black tape on the inside to hide it by the manufacturers, who I suppose thought twice.

I'm still rather unsure about the speakers though.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Less easy to do but possibly very effective would be two layers of some something (MDF, chipboard, plywood etc) with a void between the two which can be filled with builder's expanding foam.
    Tried that on my last speaker build and made a right mess of it. An easier way might be to glue foam sheet In between two layers - This looks like It could work - LINK

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    Tried that on my last speaker build and made a right mess of it.
    I never make a mess of anything!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    Tried that on my last speaker build and made a right mess of it. An easier way might be to glue foam sheet In between two layers - This looks like It could work - LINK
    Yes, some ideas sound good at the planning stage but start to come unstuck when it comes to implementing them. I once made a pair of speakers with double wall cabinets with a void which I filled with sand. It worked - kind of - but was a proper pain in the backside to do. I think the BBC's idea of using bitumen pads was an attempt to make small-scale manufacture a feasible option and avoid too much complexity in the construction of the cabinets.

I'm Grant.

Q acoustic make double walled cabs. dunno how they do it but they are supposed to sound pretty good. A lot of work for the enthusiast tho
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dennis.

Possibly Andrew, but I would think weight reduction may also be a factor, don't forget that they move stuff around.

BTW after last night's R2 blues programme with Paul Jones, I am very pleased with my ADAMs, the sound was (for FM), brilliant in clarity, perspective and balance; I will keep them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123