+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's an odd one

I'm Grant.

The distortion sensing circuit sounds like the culprit. how loud is it before it goes into meltdown?
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP - AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTH - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER23, SPOTIFY PREMIUM - ECHO DOT - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - MAINS REGENERATED AND FILTERED.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    The distortion sensing circuit sounds like the culprit. how loud is it before it goes into meltdown?
    good morning Grant,it really isnt very loud, on a scale of 1 to ten, 3 being normal tv listening id say 5. there are protection indicators on the front,but they arnt doing owt it does seem that the cap5 is at fault as you say.
    cambridge audio azur 651w power amp, novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, wharfedale diamond 10.1[suprisingly good]
    , van damme blue series interconnects, van damme studio blue 4mm speaker cable, klotz mc 5000 ,klotz silver hybrid, thanks Brian, fisual hollywood optical cable,, pioneer bdp170, akg k 550

I'm Grant.

certainly seems that way James. if its not even getting loud enough to distort then the thing must be faulty. does it have its own amp or is it just a pre. if it does you could see if it happens when under its own power only. might give you a clue
    Regards,
    Grant ....

DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP - AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTH - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER23, SPOTIFY PREMIUM - ECHO DOT - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - MAINS REGENERATED AND FILTERED.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    certainly seems that way James. if its not even getting loud enough to distort then the thing must be faulty. does it have its own amp or is it just a pre. if it does you could see if it happens when under its own power only. might give you a clue
    its a power amp Grant, i using my novafidelty x40 server as pre, no problems using my previous quad 306
    cambridge audio azur 651w power amp, novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, wharfedale diamond 10.1[suprisingly good]
    , van damme blue series interconnects, van damme studio blue 4mm speaker cable, klotz mc 5000 ,klotz silver hybrid, thanks Brian, fisual hollywood optical cable,, pioneer bdp170, akg k 550

I'm James.

ive just noticed the ebay vendor i bought it from, AUDIO PARTNERSHIP, is Cambridge Audio's online sale shop, fingers crossed theyre ont ball

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    its a power amp Grant, i using my novafidelty x40 server as pre, no problems using my previous quad 306
    Got to be a fault on the power amp then surely?
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Sony X505ES CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S Thompson

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Got to be a fault on the power amp then surely?
    I've just been driving the volume up and down around the 50 mark on my pre, when I get to 51 the volume reduces about 20%, but then I can continue to increase the volume up to party levels with no problem, other than the fact that I'm having to use more if the pre amps range to get there. The clipping and protection indicators show no issue?

I'm Martin.

But it didn't do that with the 306? It is weird but if the only thing that has changed is the power amp then there's your culprit.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Sony X505ES CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S Thompson

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    But it didn't do that with the 306? It is weird but if the only thing that has changed is the power amp then there's your culprit.
    hi Martin, no prob when using the 306, i suppose the 306 will go in the' gear i wish i hadnt sold' thread to be fair other than this annoying problem the cambridge is very good i think

I'm Grant.

some sort of impedence mismatch maybe causing it
    Regards,
    Grant ....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast