+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's an odd one

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    some sort of impedence mismatch maybe causing it
    No. It can only be a faulty power amp if it doesn't do this with other power amps. There is no fault which could cause this in a typical power amp and so I guess it must be to do with this overload protector or some such. This will be specific to Cambridge Audio so that's the end of the line as far as fault diagnosis goes I'm afraid.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    No. It can only be a faulty power amp if it doesn't do this with other power amps. There is no fault which could cause this in a typical power amp and so I guess it must be to do with this overload protector or some such. This will be specific to Cambridge Audio so that's the end of the line as far as fault diagnosis goes I'm afraid.
    Hi Jez, apparently it was an issue with some older Cambridge amps so I think your right, no response from Cambridge audio or Audio partnership as yet
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm James.

At the risk of going on a bit, playing music via the x40 hard drive things are louder given the same volume shown on the x40's pre display, so 50 shown is quite loud,going over 50 still reduces the volume almost like introducing an attenuator, I can then go loud without any harshness or distortion, I wish I had the technical know how to explain better. Incidently, when I then reduce the volume to the point at which the amp reduced volume itself, the volume increases!!!
    Last edited by Pieoftheday; 07-05-2017 at 11:05.
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm nigel.

further to my son's experience with his Cambridge amps fault, I was given the distinct impression that the staff were at least aware of a possible problem with the protection curcit.
    they were reluctant on all occasions to replace the errant amp, amps and offered the usual "send it off to the repair dept"

I strongly suggest you stand your ground and if nessesary offer to show them the fault....DEMAND a refund.....its your right!!

good hunting....NIGE.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by sumday View Post
    further to my son's experience with his Cambridge amps fault, I was given the distinct impression that the staff were at least aware of a possible problem with the protection curcit.
    they were reluctant on all occasions to replace the errant amp, amps and offered the usual "send it off to the repair dept"

I strongly suggest you stand your ground and if nessesary offer to show them the fault....DEMAND a refund.....its your right!!

good hunting....NIGE.
    Nige, still awaiting a response from the vendor which is Cambridge audios online shop and Cambridge audio themselves, it's an odd thing, like having 2 amps in one, up to a certain volume it's great but it's almost like it's reaching the point where it's not going to be comfortable soon and then someone sticks a 10db attenuator in and all is well, very well infact, it never sounds anything but good, just the strange reduction In Volume, all replies are most appreciated, jim

I'm James.

Still no reply from the seller or Cambridge audio, they must take the weekend off

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    Still no reply from the seller or Cambridge audio, they must take the weekend off
    In my experience Cambridge Audio are very poor at replying to technical enquiries - in other words they don't reply at all!
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    In my experience Cambridge Audio are very poor at replying to technical enquiries - in other words they don't reply at all!
    Pay budget prices and you get budget aftercare.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Pay budget prices and you get budget aftercare.
    It was in connection with a friend's CD player, which was bought used at £800. Not quite budget price.
    Barry

I'm Taz.

Sorry to hear about CA messing you about. Try sending them a message on their Twitter page https://mobile.twitter.com/CambridgeAudio , some customers who have had issues with companies have had success making a public complaint on Twitter. I would link this page to it too to share with them your frustration about the whole incident.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast