+ Reply to Thread

Thread: USB to Optical Connection

I'm Peter.

Default USB to Optical Connection

I'm hoping this is in the correct forum and there is a Techie out there to advise.

After much deliberation, I have the opportunity to acquire a McIntosh CD 500 (CD Transport)

Here lies the problem, apart from this being a great CD Transport, which will be the main use, I also would like to use the onboard DAC for Tidal and my NAS collection, via JRiver.

Connect to to the DAC is via either Optical or Coaxial, but on my Laptop, I only have USB outputs.

I know there are USB / Optical SPDIF or Coaxial converters but how do these interface with the likes of Tidal / JRiver, as my understanding is that an audio driver is required??

From what I've read on the subject, the McIntosh has 8 ESS Sabre Reference 9008 DACs in quad balanced parallel configuration and it would appear that to not to use this output would be a travesty.

As always, having a piece of kit that does it all, is not easy.

Anyway, I'm losing the plot.

Can anybody explain the difficulties or possible problems in connecting this piece of kit via my USB output (Windows 10) using a converter of some sort, to make it all work.

Or is it not possible????

My current kit is Computer to DAC (USB) no problems.

Also Townshend Rock / SME V / Decca Super Gold / McIntosh MA 2275 / Kef 105/3 Speakers.

Long live Vinyl...... sorry for the Streaming Question, but life goes on.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

You will get a driver or download one with the convertor. Some may just use a generic one. Ive got a stan beresford one which was very good. The driver is on his site. Once that is working then anything that the pc puts out of usb will just be converted to spdif and then out to the device amp. Getting the driver to be recognised is the trick. Some are easier than others.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Simon.

Don't panic!

I think you're getting confused. Your PC is doing the streaming from Tidal and the likes. It then produces a digital signal out, via USB.

You just need to convert USB to SPDIF (Toslink and Coaxial are both just different flavours. of SPDIF [Sony Philips Digital Interface Format].

There is a plethora of devices on the market. You might want to start off with something cheap, but effective, such as a Behringer UCA222 at around £25, just to prove to yourself that it all works. You could then look at something better; a Halide Bridge perhaps? Or the now discontinued Musical Fidelity V Link used to be good.

You need to take care that your USB-SPDIF converter can handle all the frequencies and bit depth you'll be using. If you look at up to 24/192 capability then that will cover all the bases, unless you want to move on to DSD and the likes.

Just to add: the USB converters will often install the correct driver on a Windows PC automatically. If not, one would come with the kit. I use the UCA222 to convert USB on a laptop to digital when I do the occasional bit of DJing. Always works a treat and I never needed to download any additional drivers. The driver is just for the USB converter, btw; nothing to do with Tidal or whatever. The Driver is just a small bit of software that the computer uses to allow the USB converter to work. Of course, if you had an Apple then special/additional drivers are very rarely required.
    Lindemann Network Bridge > McIntosh MHA150 > Shahinian Larc speakers

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by simon g View Post
    Don't panic!

I think you're getting confused. Your PC is doing the streaming from Tidal and the likes. It then produces a digital signal out, via USB.

You just need to convert USB to SPDIF (Toslink and Coaxial are both just different flavours. of SPDIF [Sony Philips Digital Interface Format].

There is a plethora of devices on the market. You might want to start off with something cheap, but effective, such as a Behringer UCA222 at around £25, just to prove to yourself that it all works. You could then look at something better; a Halide Bridge perhaps? Or the now discontinued Musical Fidelity V Link used to be good.

You need to take care that your USB-SPDIF converter can handle all the frequencies and bit depth you'll be using. If you look at up to 24/192 capability then that will cover all the bases, unless you want to move on to DSD and the likes.

Just to add: the USB converters will often install the correct driver on a Windows PC automatically. If not, one would come with the kit. I use the UCA222 to convert USB on a laptop to digital when I do the occasional bit of DJing. Always works a treat and I never needed to download any additional drivers. The driver is just for the USB converter, btw; nothing to do with Tidal or whatever. The Driver is just a small bit of software that the computer uses to allow the USB converter to work. Of course, if you had an Apple then special/additional drivers are very rarely required.
    Grant, Simon.

Many thanks for this advice.. I just wanted to make sure........ for me this is a crap load of money for a CD transport, but as I've never had the opportunity to go this high end on a CD transport... I just needed some reassurance.

Lol ...... only half the cost of my vinyl set up, but it just seems a lot for CD playback. Which with the right transport "Can" be as good as Vinyl??????

However, I may be wrong !!

Peter

I'm Grant.

As long as it can accept a dig signal in you should be ok. I take it youve tried using external dacs etc first? Macintosh make good stuff im told. Im considering an all in one network amp myself. But at a lower pricescale
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    As long as it can accept a dig signal in you should be ok. I take it youve tried using external dacs etc first? Macintosh make good stuff im told. Im considering an all in one network amp myself. But at a lower pricescale
    Hi Grant, yes it can most certainly accept a dig signal.

At present all is easy as I have an external DAC " Teac UD 503", via a Marantz UD 8004' not everybody's cup of tea but it works just fine and the sound is amassing!!!

Just trying to get back to CD's as I understand that with the right player..... they are pretty dammed good.

Plus, I've never had a decent CD transport, and would like to give it a try

However, It might be an adventure that I regret.

For the record. ..... McIntosh products are second to none..... now there goes a debate!!!!!

Very happy with the the MA 2275 Amp ...... soft and sweet.... with bags of POWER. Certainly the best best amp I have ever owned.

But that's just my opinion

Peter

+ Reply to Thread