+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Bose Soundwave

I'm Martin.

Yes with enough advertising in the sunday magazines there seems to be a market. Its money people will pay and they get a big enough sound from a compact unit. I dont want to sound patronising but the candle test and enhanced sound from a small speaker will do it for them

My parents have never really wanted anything more than a cheaper mini system in their living room. They have even downgraded from a little Sony system to some Technika? micro system. They even found the speakers so poor with the Technika that they kept the Sony speakers. I was apalled but I dont say anything. I think they are in the supermarkets for £70 and you really dont get much for that sort of money. It makes a noise and thats all they want it to do with a cd brought through from the kitchen.

In a way I would rather thay had bought a Bose...at least £500 shows some commitment

I tried.... oh boy I tried to introduce them to a decent system but they really arent interested. In the distant past I at least got him to buy a Philips cd player Arcam amp etc but they hardly used it before it got shuffled off to the loft.

I spend my life being disappointed. I walked into a large house in Royal Deeside. I thought they may have a nice hi fi only to be greeted by an Aiwa micro system.

I accept there is a market for such items but they just make me think of landfill purchases. I do have a mini Hitachi system in a work room but the key point is that is was £15 from the charity shop and it gets left on DAB for hours at a time.
    It looks like a couple of micro separates stacked but the digital amp is very dodgy and the cd player packed up before I bought it. I dont have to switch main systems on and it makes a reasonable noise for less concentrated listening. Its better than a portable radio and sounds ok for what it is (as long as x bass or preset tones are off) I wouldnt have paid anywhere near the the RRP price for it though. Its too near the next decent stage up with a Denon for example. When it goes kaput I will throw it in the recycling bin.

I think when companies like Denon started working with Mission a good mini system could be bought for a reasonable price....Onkyo or anything similar would be a better buy than the Soundwave.
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 10-05-2017 at 18:36.

I'm Kevin.

I have a Bose sound dock portable. I have had it for 7 years, and it is superb for what I want it for.
    I wanted something small that could provide a bit of background music at BBQs and next to the pool. It's great as my iPhone or iPod will dock on it, and I can stream using Spotify. You just sit it n the corner, and let it get on with providing background music. It is also great for providing music when I have DIY to do, or I am working in the garage.

As for giving up my smartphone - that is impossible as I have one supplied by work which I use on a daily basis.
    However, when on holiday, it is much easier to just go off grid. I still use my iPad to browse the Internet, and my phone for phone calls, but that all depends on where I am and what type of holiday it is. My daughter loves watching her favourite animated stories on my iPad when we are travelling, so I use the latest technology to enhance my life, rather than being a slave to technology. That is the key to me.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

danilo Guest

Boy.. nothing like a Bose reference to stir up the inmates.
    Fairly common reaction though.. regardless of Where.

I'm Martin.

Yes I mean dont get me wrong. Im not going to get worked up about what people buy.

Ive just looked at the Bose website at how they market the soundwave. Really its just a large clock radio with cd for £500.

"There’s no stack of electronics. No big speakers. No wires running around your room. Proprietary Bose® technologies automatically perform many of the adjustments needed for high-performance audio. So you can enjoy the performance of a large, multi-component stereo without setting a row of controls. You may find yourself listening to music more often and enjoying it more. It’s really that simple"

"Just plug it in and you're ready to go. Regular or home-burned CDs/MP3 CDs load directly into the front, and your favourite radio stations are available at the touch of a preset. A slim infrared remote control lets you operate all system functions from anywhere in the room, and the convenient touch-top controls for on/off/snooze are completely invisible. You hear your music with clear, full, accurate sound. All from a system that fits virtually anywhere—living room end table, kitchen counter or bedside table"

I dont see the problem with a couple of small separate speakers which give more flexibility if needed later. I dont see the problem with setting up a Mini system. Just think there's better VFM and other products do come with a clock display

I suppose for a kitchen or a bedroom why not. Its better than the stuff my parents buy.

Anyway as long as people are listening to music and doing their thing, I dont really care. I think we all know deep down why it stirs us up but I dont want to say any more
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 10-05-2017 at 20:39.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    I think we all know deep down why it stirs us up but I dont want to say any more...
    I don't, Martin, so please feel free to enlighten me. It's a discussion, and so all about sharing opinions, which no-one here will bite your head off for

As I said earlier, if someone has bought one of these Bose Soundwaves, and thinks it's the bee's knees, then I'd say good luck to them and enjoy.

However, that doesn't preclude others from offering an opinion on the questionable VFM of the product, or on other options that would unquestionably deliver better sound quality, *IF* that is the main priority, which obviously with some folks, clearly isn't - and that's fine!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Alan.

This http://www.ruarkaudio.com/products/r4-overview is so much better for the same budget, plus it's British.

a friend has one and he wholeheartedly agrees it is better than the Bose offering (in the other room )

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    This http://www.ruarkaudio.com/products/r4-overview is so much better for the same budget, plus it's British.

a friend has one and he wholeheartedly agrees it is better than the Bose offering (in the other room )

Yep, said that already Alan, i have heard both, the Ruark for me so much better in every way. My friends who bought the BOSE, bought second hand, same price second hand as the Ruark. New the Ruark a tad more expensive.
    My point was if someone wants an all in one box type thing, no wires, separate speakers etc, then for me the the Ruark wins hands down. I have heard a few other one box 'jobs', B&W Zeppelin, Samsung Da-750 valve ( more of a dock). Ruark all the way...
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

I'm Simon.

My dad has one of these in a corner alcove which creates bass boom

But he doesn't like big speaker boxes everywhere. I'm trying to get him to buy these floorstanders which are fantastic speakers and only 45 cms tall

I'm M.

I caught a look at those Neat speakers in the window of Raleigh Hi Fi could not beleive how small thet were

danilo Guest

Far better sounding than a Bose wave box. Almost free to build, not overly attractive, but it can be wall hung at least.
    http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-...w-you-can.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast