+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Joni Mitchell recordings production/sound quality

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I don't agree regarding Jaco Pastorius - I find his bass playing overbearing, both on 'Mingus' as well as when he played with Weather Report.

To my mind 'Mingus' and 'The Hissing of Summer Lawns' are Joni's weakest recordings.

Her best recordings? Well for the poetry of her lyrics it would be the first three: 'Song to a Seagull', 'Clouds' and 'Ladies of the Canyon', with 'Blue' coming a close second.
    Jacos' bass playing has been bastardized and turned into a caricature by the endless onslaught of the uninspired bass players who were doing the 'monkey see, monkey do' in his wake. As such, I think our ears are tainted by the after-the-fact botched imitation, so when we go back to listen to him, we tend to hear only the caricature.

But I find that if I manage to cleanse my ears of the horrible elevator muzak that the army of soft jazz idiots have enforced upon us, Jaco's playing is brilliantly lyrical, innovative, and frighteningly virtuosic. And it fits so well with Joni's daring avant-garde music.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Not forgetting she managed to recruit arguably one of the world's best bass players
    for the albums Hejira, Don Jans Reckless Daughter and Mingus, namely Jaco Pastorius
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaco_Pastorius

Joni is a visual artist as well as sound artist. For instance who has spotted that it
    is her dressed as a man, also on the front cover of Don Juan's Reckless Daughter ?
    As for sound, her guitar playing is totally unique and well worthwhile hearing just for that
    aspect.

As for sound quality, I agree where she had control over what was being recorded,
    there is consistently good quality. For instance compare, Shine to Don Juans's
    Reckless Daughter, despite 30 years between them.
    Most people claim that Steely Dan holds the bar when it comes to the highest quality 'audiophile' recorded music, but I'd say that "Don Juan's Reckless Daughter" destroys albums like "Aja" and such in terms of sound quality. But Joni never received long overdue recognition for her stellar production work.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Most people claim that Steely Dan holds the bar when it comes to the highest quality 'audiophile' recorded music, but I'd say that "Don Juan's Reckless Daughter" destroys albums like "Aja".
    An odd way to look at it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    An odd way to look at it.
    I'm not looking at it, I'm listening to it. Odd way to listen to it?

Alex.

I'm Martin.

I'm not looking at it, I'm listening to it. Odd way to listen to it?
    Maybe. Let me ask you this: Do you think that there is, or at least should be, one way of recording and production that is the best and that in an ideal world all music would be recorded and produced in that way?

Or is the method of recording and the style of the production as much a part of the artistic expression as the music itself?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Maybe. Let me ask you this: Do you think that there is, or at least should be, one way of recording and production that is the best and that in an ideal world all music would be recorded and produced in that way?

Or is the method of recording and the style of the production as much a part of the artistic expression as the music itself?
    Good question. I never thought about it. I guess it may boil down to personal preferences. It's almost like asking 'should there be one prescribed best way to boil an egg?' Some people like soft boiled, some like hard boiled. Same goes with other food, like steaks etc.

For me, I fall for raw, visceral recordings/production. I don't enjoy sanitized, sanded off records where everything feels sterile and stillborn. I know people who prefer that, and that's okay with me. But I like it the way I like my sex -- sweaty, steamy, obnoxious, I love those moments where everyone involved loses control. Not for the squeamish.

Alex.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

"obnoxious" sex? Oh well - chacun a son goute.
    Barry

I'm Jimmy.

Back in the 70's at Myer Emco (audio store in Washington, D.C. area), "Car On a Hill" was one of the most often demo songs because of the way it opened with that single snare slap and the brass hitting it full force on the next beat, as well as the overdubbed choir in the bridge. I have all her first pressings and a few reissues and would say they're not all as good as the two you first mentioned, but I would highly recommend her live, "Miles of Aisles" album with Tom Scott and the LA Express brass section. It's one of the best live albums I've heard. I quite often use her jazzed up version of "Woodstock" of off that album to demo different timbres for visitors who want to hear my rig. As well, I use that track to adjust phono stage gain/load settings with different carts because of the cymbal splashes section was well bass drum thud. Enjoy!!!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    "obnoxious" sex? Oh well - chacun a son goute.
    Yes, I apologize for revealing too much. I've heard that you Brits prefer to practice "polite" sex -- chacun a son goute.

Alex.

I'm Chris.

Yes, I apologize for revealing too much. I've heard that you Brits prefer to practice "polite" sex -- chacun a son goute.
    Have you read Three words Daily ?
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ever-you-like)

lot's of practice on a daily basis,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast