+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Emotional / sad tracks

I'm shahrin.

Whoa Lotsa sad tunes to check out.
    Lovely emotional bunch here . Thanks .
    Will search these out.
    Better get the tissue box handy
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Graham 1.5 / V15 III, Thorens td124 mk2 / 3012 S2 / SL15Q
    Marantz CD63, Squeezebox Touch, EDO applet, Gieseler Klein DAC
    Sanyo Plus Series C55, Nakamichi PA 7, NS1000M

I'm Simon.

I was listening to Suo Gan (Welsh cradle song) from empire of the sun yesterday. That's a great sad song.

I remember watching the film as a 13 year old. This song is sad but reflective for me because it represents a time I will never get back to live again. Also more profoundly, a time of being younger where life was simple and easy and innocent, without complex thoughts of being an adult. This simplicity and innocence is reflected in the boy soprano voice. Also going to boarding school and the thoughts of leaving home and the seeing my mother and the trauma of repatriation, which is a theme in empire of the sun at the end when this song comes in again.

Maybe you shouldn't listen to it but in a funny sort of way it provides nourishment if that makes sense. Sorry if this is too deep.

Last edited by Dynamics; 05-05-2017 at 11:33.

I'm Shaun.

The most melancholy music I have is the album 'Dust and Dreams' by Camel. In true Prog Rock format it is a concept album based on the book 'The Grapes of Wrath'. This album has some incredibly haunting refrains that run through the whole piece constantly winding in and out of the main piece. Love it.
    Marantz CD6005 into Audiolab MDAC
    Nottingham Analogue Interspace turntable with Origin Live Onyx tonearm/Denon DL103/Dynavector P75 MkIII phono stage

Prima Luna Prologue preamp
    Prima Luna Dialogue Premium power amp/EL34

B&W CM8 S2 loudspeakers

Atlas Hyper interconnects
    Van Den Hul Teatrack biwired cables

Anything Ozric Tentacles based

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    The most melancholy music I have is the album 'Dust and Dreams' by Camel. In true Prog Rock format it is a concept album based on the book 'The Grapes of Wrath'. This album has some incredibly haunting refrains that run through the whole piece constantly winding in and out of the main piece. Love it.
    Sounds great !
    I only know Nude from them, which I love.
    I'll give that a go
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, A&R P77 > Musical Fidelity XLPS v3 Phono Stage
    Sony CDP-XE520 CD Player > SMSL Sanskrit DAC
    Pure DAB tuner
    Tisbury Mk.1 pre-amp > 2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps > Rega Jura Mk.2 speakers
    Grado SR80 headphones

www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Geoff.

I'm sure there must be something from Leonard Cohen or June Tabor that would fit the bill.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Ian.

I know this a bit obvious but I've always thought " She's Leaving Home " by The Beatles immensely sad, all those strings I guess
    My stuff; Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774 /Ortofon Quintet Black, Cambridge CXC CD transport/Musical Fidelity X DAC/Musical Fidelity X10v3 tube buffer, Musical Fidelity A3, Nakamichi CA-5E pre amp, Acoustic Solutions FM/DAB tuner, Mordaunt Short Signifer, Klotz MC5000/MS audio, NVA LS5

I'm Robert.

Rickie Lee Jones - Company.

Beautiful expression of one of those not so comfortable paths we take along lifes journey.

The aching, yearning, melancholy, definitely stirs the emotion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG0zxxzvyYE

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Rickie Lee Jones - Company.
    Yeah. Agree with that. Very poignant.

There's great emotional content in June Tabor's 'The Gardener'. By the end of the song, she's practically spitting the words out in bitterness. Beautifully done!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGrD80f5Q7Q
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Shane.

Last edited by shane; 04-05-2017 at 17:35.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Tony.

Liz Frazer's cover of Song to Siren is about as melancholic as it gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXHw-LyeiVc
    VPI Scout 1.1, Ortofon Quintet Bronze, Trigon Vanguard I, SB Touch, Beresford Caiman SEG, Modified Yaqin MC-100B and Rega RS3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast