+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should passenger seats be reversed ?

I'm Chris.

Default Should passenger seats be reversed ?

Hi
    Here is an interesting thought, that seats in passenger vehicles including aircraft
    for reasons of protecting occupants - be reversed. So passengers face toward the rear.

It is not as appealing for looking around, but if safety is paramount it has a lot going for it

If we think of the seatbelt and chair as mediums for keeping people in place,
    in the case of an impact from the front, the chair and their seatbelt assists to protect them.
    vs facing forward there is less protection. In the case of a rear collision they are forced
    back into the seat away from the object.

When it comes to cars, if we forgo the passenger seat, and instead move the driver
    facing forward driving, to the center and surround him with airbags, and behind him
    the passenger seats facing to the rear, I think this could save lives. The car manufacturers
    will not like it, as it lessens available seating room in cars.

Any thoughts ?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Hi
    Here is an interesting thought, that seats in passenger vehicles including aircraft
    for reasons of protecting occupants - be reversed. So passengers face toward the rear.

It is not as appealing for looking around, but if safety is paramount it has a lot going for it

in the case of an impact from the front, the chair and their seatbelt assists to protect them.
    vs facing forward there is less protection. In the case of a rear collision they are forced

When it comes to cars, if we forgo the passenger seat, and instead move the driver
    facing forward driving, to the center and surround him with airbags, and behind him
    the passenger seats facing to the rear, I think this could save lives. The car manufacturers

Any thoughts ?
    Have you sat facing backwards in a road vehicle, it's grim, travel sickness is made worse if facing backwards, I spent many years in rear facing fire engine cabs and you would turn up at incidents feeling crap.

Big no no from me I'm afraid.

I'm Grant.

i'd second Mike's opinion. Dont even like facing sideways, but facing back does make you feel unwell. As far as aircraft are concerned It may not be as bad but tbh the seat fixing mounts are usually not strong enough anyway
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

The other awkward thing about facing backwards in a car etc is you can't prepare for the next bend so invariably get thrown from side to side.

My mate and I tried riding pillion on a motorbike facing backwards, jeez was that scary not only for the one facing backwards but the driver had very poor control of the lean as his passenger ( me ) couldn't see the corners coming!

I'm Shane.

I have vivid memories of a two hour train journey facing backwards on one of those old DMUs where you could see back through the driver's cab. It was an interesting if unsettling experience, not least because for at least a hour afterwards the world still appeared to be rushing past in the same way that the world carries on spinning when you spin yourself into dizziness. Very weird, and not pleasant.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Chris.

Yes valid points concerning cars trucks and bikes, that for feeling well
    facing forward is preferable. But for safety, we can see some child
    restraints already thinking of this.

When it comes to being a passenger in a larger fast moving mass vehicle
    like an aircraft, the velocity might be such that your body cannot
    discern which way.

I know a lot of the seats on the local train face backwards, and seem to get
    occupied. When i have sat that way there is not much difference, and i do
    not feel unwell. .

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Hi

Any thoughts ?
    Have you been playing with your Captain Scarlet SPV again?

Geoff

I'm Geoff.

This is a bit like the falling lift argument. If the cable snaps and the lift falls, should you just stand, or try and jump a bit before impact, or lay down? It's all about spreading the load! So I'd lay down.

Facing backwards in a vehicle is theoretically safer, as the seat back offers more area to absorb a frontal impact. Assuming the seat and its mounts don't fail (and they probably will in a hard crash).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

By that reasoning wouldn't a fully recumbent position be best with some memory foam shock absorbing booties!

Geoff

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Have you been playing with your Captain Scarlet SPV again?

Geoff
    I used to enjoy watching Captain Scarlet, and of course the Mysterons,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast