+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying again: headphones<£100 this time :)

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    Hamish have you read about the filter modification? I am going to have a go at this plus cable replacement. I think I will built it in a little box rather than open them up.
    Here is the link: http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/HD681.pdf
    Hmm that's interesting!
    In a separate box? That will work the same will it? How are you going to replace the cable?
    When you buy the apropriate bits would you concidor getting them twice so I can have a go too?
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Lee.

According to the spec, the cable is 2.5m
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

Alessandro MS1 about $99 (new version $109)

A re-worked Grado better than the 80 for less money No brainer

http://www.alessandro-products.com/m...p?p=headphones

Cheers, alfie
    alfie
    Main System: Denon DP-6000 VPI Base/Fidelity Research FR64s/Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII/Shelter 901/Auditorium 23 SUT/Pure Sound P10/SB Touch or Audio Note CDT & M2Tech Young Dac/BL Audio LP-1/New Audio Frontiers KT66 Legend/Living Voice OBX.
    2nd System: PC/Foobar/E-MU 0404 pci (Modded)/AVI ADM9/Rel Strata II subs.

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    Hmm that's interesting!
    In a separate box? That will work the same will it? How are you going to replace the cable?
    When you buy the apropriate bits would you concidor getting them twice so I can have a go too?
    Sorry Hamish I completly forgot about this thread. Yes there is no problem in putting the filter in a separate box. It means you can try different phones with the filter. Cable replacement should be straightforward-just note which wires go where prior to desoldering.
    Puffin is making the filter so I will let you know how effective it is in a few days.
    I have ordered velour pads as well-dont like the leatherette stuff.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Jerry.

The filter is a must for the HD681 headphones which have an exaggerated top end. With the filter in place not only is sibilance corrected but mids and highs become more noticable as the whole thing is more in balance.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm David.

sweet! ..

so in theory, you could make a box with a jack socket on one side and a cable with a jack on the end out the other? ...
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Jerry.

QUOTE=hamish;96346]sweet! ..

so in theory, you could make a box with a jack socket on one side and a cable with a jack on the end out the other? ...[/QUOTE]

Attached Images Attached Images
    Jerry

I'm David.

Sweet... Did you make that then or did rob do it?

I'm Jerry.

Rob of course-I just stuck the circuit in a box.
    Jerry

I'm David.

I've not seen him round this parts of late, has he emigrated?

I have just noticed the upgraded lead too ... Good work (did you do that bit? Was it dificult?)

I think I might have a crack at this my self you know, where did the little box come from?

In terms of value for money how do you rate it, can you give me an idea of the improvements in terms of a comparison to other head phones?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast