+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying again: headphones<£100 this time :)

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Default Buying again: headphones<£100 this time :)

So, headphones under £100. Any suggestions? A browse through the forum turned up the Senn HD280 Pro but nothing else in the price range. Personally I'm only thinking Grado, either SR60i or SR80i (these might be doable if I look around). Anything else? Seriously, though---under £100. Don't beguile me with tales of epic headphones for "just a bit more."

They're for the 7510 for TV and music; my laptop for TV-on-demand and World of Warcraft; my iPod touch for AirFoil.

Ta!
    Simon.

I'm ILOB.

I really love the the HD595 and if you shop around you should find them for under £100
    I used to have Ak701 HD600 with upgraded cables and Grados SR80s but more happier with the HD595 nice a puchy without fatique and easy to drive Only gripes is how they look and you cannot uprade cabling
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Lee.

I've got the SR80's and can recommend them. Plus I've added Senn earpads which make them more comfortable. Know anyone on a trip to the states? A mate of mine got them there for $90, around £55; bargain.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm notAlone.

The Grado 60s are not very accurate...
    I recommend a pair of ATH-M50 : everybody who has listened to them has bought a pair...
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm David.

I know there is a mixed opionion on these things when it comes to sibilence but I have a pair and they are not all bad. Mine are the standard 681, and I got them for £19 all in - they arnt perfect but for that level of investment they are excelent value for money
    http://www.superlux.com.tw/new/html/Frame1.html
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    I know there is a mixed opionion on these things when it comes to sibilence but I have a pair and they are not all bad. Mine are the standard 681, and I got them for £19 all in - they arnt perfect but for that level of investment they are excelent value for money
    http://www.superlux.com.tw/new/html/Frame1.html
    Hamish have you read about the filter modification? I am going to have a go at this plus cable replacement. I think I will built it in a little box rather than open them up.
    Here is the link: http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/HD681.pdf
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by sburrell View Post
    So, headphones under £100. Any suggestions?
    Sennheiser HD-25SP and velour pads for these.

Cheers

Alex

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick responses! I think I've decided to go with two people's suggestions: Hamish and Webby. I do know someone who's going Stateside, but not immediately. So, Hamish, I think I'll follow your advice and try the Superluxes. The fact that someone liked them enough to prepare an audiophile mod for them says a lot, I reckon. How long is the cable, and does it terminate with a 3.5mm or 6.5mm jack? 3.5mm would be better *fingers crossed*.
    Simon.

I'm Lee.

Also, don't forget the Senn PX100's. I think they've been revised and are said to be even better.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm David.

Not sure how long the cable is without digging them out, mine came with a 3.5mm plug with a screw on 6.3.... I think
    jerry will prob be bette at answering that as mine are still packed away!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast