+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enlighten me....

I'm Phil.

Default Enlighten me....

I have been very happy for quite a while now with my Rega Brio r, but perhaps unsurprisingly the upgrade itch has re-surfaced. As I have only ever had solid state integrated amps I have become curious about the benefits of separate pre and power amps, as well as tube amps. Is there a massive benefit to be had and heard, and if so what is it? If I do decide to go down this route am I better going for a passive or active pre and what are the benefits of each?

Many thanks,
    Phil

I'm jamie.

in my case the phono stage in my pre amp was vastly superior to the one in my amp,in fact thats the only reason i bought it.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MarginWalker View Post
    I have been very happy for quite a while now with my Rega Brio r, but perhaps unsurprisingly the upgrade itch has re-surfaced. As I have only ever had solid state integrated amps I have become curious about the benefits of separate pre and power amps, as well as tube amps. Is there a massive benefit to be had and heard, and if so what is it? If I do decide to go down this route am I better going for a passive or active pre and what are the benefits of each?

Many thanks,
    Phil
    I have always had SS amps and recently took the jump to a passive pre and Monoblocks. Its the best move ive made

Separation, soundstage, detail, well everything really has improved, not by a bit but a good margin.

Listen to as many systems as you can before you do anything

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

Depends on what you like really. Both can be great and not so great depending. integrated's can be excellent too. The rega has an above adequete phono stage but can be bettered for not too much money. If you are vinyl orientated I would get an external stage for now and class that as your first upgrade. If you decide to change to seperates later it will still be a valid purchase.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

There was always a thought that separate pre power was where you should go at a certain price point. I'm listening now to my Lentek amp into my Yamaha NS1000M and there clearly is no fundamental reason that pre power is definitively superior. Trust your ears.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Phil.

one of the main things with pre power is the ability to experiment . I am surrounded currently by 4 wonderful pre amps . all so different and great fun to try [ modwright dm , modwright anniversary 9.0, grandinote proemio and velleman 3020] .

tubes are most certainly not superior to ss imho so don`t be led astray by that idea .

that said there are so many superb integrated from luxman [mcru has a beauty if you feel tempted] , leben , musical fidelity and grandinote and modwright . there is no actual need to go pre power
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Jez.

There's no benefit in principle from having separate pre and power amps... but in practice most manufacturers save their best designs for their separate pre and power models. Historically, valve power amps were big, hot and heavy and back in the day were designed to be placed out of site, often in the base of a console which held all the equipment. The small. light and only warm pre could then be fitted flush to the teak console where it controlled everything... hence its other name of control amp.
    Separates do of course also bring the advantage that you can pick and choose the pre and power you wish to put together rather than both being set in stone in an integrated.

As to SS V valve and active V passive well how long is a piece of string, how many opinions do you want and did you book the 15 minute argument or the full half hour?

A separate phono stage is something I can help you with but I don't think you mentioned whether you use vinyl or not...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Phil.

Thanks for all the replies, i am still intrigued by the separate power/pre combination as I have always seen it as the passive hifi set-up, but I think it is more curiosity than anything else that is driving it. I would say I listen to records about 70% of the time with the rest of my listening through a Spotify/chromecast/beresford Bushmaster, and the main reason I bought the Rega was to have an amp with a decent phono stage built in, but I guess my next logical step is an upgrade to that phono stage. Does an upgrade in this area really make that much of a difference and what sort of stage do I need to be looking at to better the Rega?

I'm Alan.

Hi Phil,

Bigbird of this parish has compared a few phono stages to his Brio R, here's his posting particularly about my new OTP phono stage:

'First spin was Pink Floyds 'division bell'.. i always go to Floyd or dire straits to test equipment as the sound quality is spot on so I get a good gauge.
    Right away it sounds open and airy and my worries about trading in my Slee for a box half the price drift away.
    i moved onto massive attacks mezzanine... there's a percussion instrument on the beginning of the first track that me and my missus always noticed on the Slee as it sounds like someone is tapping a piece of wood next to our ears when we listened, this was slightly more in the background to what i remembered with the Slee as it wasn't so prominent ....still there but not quite as snappy.
    When the track kicked in it was clear that the OTP had bags of bass, something I always thought the Slee was slightly lacking. it was deep and crisp and very exiting... I've had to put the bungs back in the speakers in case the neighbour gives me a bollocking in my first week haha.
    Next up was Little Milton ,grits aint groceries lp! the soundstage really came through on this. we both agreed that it sounded like he was sat playing at the end of the room or in a smoky bar somewhere .it sounded really live. the guitar was sleazy and snarling and the vocals had a touch of echo like it was recorded in a large room.
    In comparison to the rega brio stage I was back to using whilst I waited for this to arrive,well,it blows it out of the water...or 'out the park' I should say!
    Much better in every single way and the Brio stage is highly regarded for an integrated.
    As for the graham slee i sold to make way for this purchase..it was a much closer call! very similar in many ways..good soundstage ,great detail and clarity.... the OTP has it on the bass front for sure and is slightly more open, the slee just nicked it for separation but its very close?? but without them side by side its hard to say as i was only going from memory.
    Overall this is a fantastic piece of kit... at 225 quid(half the price of the slee) its an absolute bargain...it offers everything it had and a little bit more.
    I listened to a few phonos in the sub 300 bracket(rega,project,cambridge) before i went for the slee and this beats all 3 for my tastes.
    i rekon you'd be hard pushed to find a better phono anywhere at that price point...its that good!! ... for the meantime Well done Alan and thanks for an absolute bargain buy!'

Cheers,
    Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Bigman80 Guest

I can confirm this is a superb phono stage. It makes a mockery of the price (£225) and I love mine. Can NOT get better for smart money IMO. There are a couple of videos on YouTube. Just search FB-OTP and it will come up. Not a perfect snapshot but good enough.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast