+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A word of warning

Bigman80 Guest

Seems a bit unanimous really.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

danilo Guest

No idea what that Brand is.
    But certainly Curious. So what is the theory behind the unpleasant sounds.
    Given that Speaker wires really only have One general variable: resistance.
    Too high.. Too low Or?

Bigman80 Guest

Im not sure of the science behind a cable but theres a definite change, a change even the most stubborn of nay sayers couldn't deny.

Maybe its quality of Copper? No idea

I'm Grant.

They have capacitance too.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dennis.

And isn't this a perfect manifestation of the problem of objectivism and subjectivism?

I lean towards the former with its strict matrices of truths, but cannot deny this sort of phenomenon, which it would also be unscientific to do.

So, to the dogmatic objectivists I say, we need more science on the phenomenon; whether or not it is in the external reality, and when we have understood and eliminated that, on the internal functions in the psychology.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    As most of you know, im a vinyl lover. Not had much time for digital formats at all. So this week, I sent my FB-OTP to Firebottle to be brought up to the latest spec. Loading plug capability, MM/MC switch. As mine was the prototype it doesn't have any of these functions. This leaves me unable to play any vinyl. ��

Ive also borrowed some IXOS speaker cable from alan to see what its like.

Out of interest I plugged my laptop into my pre amp and played a few HD FLAC files. I listened with the Fisual Hollywood Speaker cables in and felt unimpressed by the digital format. Brittle, sharp, harsh and completely unsatisfactory.

Feeling a bit bored and inquisitive I fitted the IXOS. Now I feel a bit of a tit. I am really enjoying the sound from the laptop into the FB monoblocks. So I dragged an old DVD player out id bought from Sainsburys​ many years ago. And..........Wow ! It sounds great. Believing id just become used to the digital sound I put the Fisuals back in and.......nope. all that harshness and glassy digital sound made me want to turn it off immediately. I am now wondering why the F@ck I didnt try different speaker cables when I had my beautiful Sony X555ES CDP !!!!!

So for those who claim cables, RCA plugs, or speaker cables dont make a difference, you are wrong. Very wrong.

So the point of this thread is.......try different cables before you sell anything. It may just make all the difference.

I dont think the Fisuals are a bad cable bit I think they were a bad match for the speakers I have.

PS, I dont regret selling anything because I have the best setup I could wish for now.

glad that worked out for you, I had to move my Fisual to my AV setup, initially impressive but way too harsh long term.
    Last edited by Hudz; 03-05-2017 at 07:58. Reason: Bleedin' predictive text.......grrrrrrr
    We are the love we leave behind.

I'm Grant.

Which one is the otp stage?
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

It's about synergy and what is at either end of a cable. Of course any cable placed between a wall socket and a light bulb will pass current and light the bulb - but when carrying voltages sometimes less than a few microvolts it's a different ballgame.

Recently I bought some very well respected interconnects and didn't like their effect the moment they went in but I persevered, tweaking my system to try and get it to gel with the cables - a subsequent rack change meant they were too short and I moved them on and replaced them with something not so well respected here but which my gut said would be a good choice. Plugged in the difference was astonishing, not quite so spacious but wonderfully even, controlled and 'musical'.

Both sets of cables have ruler flat responses and only vary in materials and grounding - but my system is my system and the second set just fits better - synergy.

For this reason there is no such thing as the best cable in the world.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    It's about synergy and what is at either end of a cable. Of course any cable placed between a wall socket and a light bulb will pass current and light the bulb - but when carrying voltages sometimes less than a few microvolts it's a different ballgame.

Recently I bought some very well respected interconnects and didn't like their effect the moment they went in but I persevered, tweaking my system to try and get it to gel with the cables - a subsequent rack change meant they were too short and I moved them on and replaced them with something not so well respected here but which my gut said would be a good choice. Plugged in the difference was astonishing, not quite so spacious but wonderfully even, controlled and 'musical'.

Both sets of cables have ruler flat responses and only vary in materials and grounding - but my system is my system and the second set just fits better - synergy.

For this reason there is no such thing as the best cable in the world.
    good point. Ive had similar, and in the end its what works for the stuff youve got. Ive heard speakers in my system that sounded terrible but in another room sounded great
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    Given that Speaker wires really only have One general variable: resistance.
    Too high.. Too low Or?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Im not sure of the science behind a cable but theres a definite change, a change even the most stubborn of nay sayers couldn't deny.
    Maybe its quality of Copper? No idea
    Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    They have capacitance too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    So, to the dogmatic objectivists I say, we need more science on the phenomenon; whether or not it is in the external reality, and when we have understood and eliminated that, on the internal functions in the psychology.
    I was reading an article by Cyril Bateman recently about speaker cables. He had decided to do some serious measurements and set up a test rig which included a dummy loudspeaker load which was an accurate model of a real loudspeaker (with crossover) rather than a simple eight ohm load. Two amplifiers blew up when dissipating only 2.5 watts in the load!!
    The cable's characteristic impedance combined with the reactive load sent the amplifier into oscillation well above the audio band. Yes, at audio frequencies the speaker cable should be a very simple piece of wire but at much higher frequencies it all becomes a lot more complicated. To me this is an argument for limiting the bandwidth of amplifiers rather than striving for a bandwidth of hundreds of kilohertz which only works nicely into a purely resistive eight ohm load.
    Anyway, the point is that speaker cables do have real and measurable effects. Unfortunately they're not simple and predictable effects with universal applicablity, ie they depend on the amp and speakers.
    I'll post a link to the article if I can find it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast