+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi all,

I'm Tony.

Default Hi all,

Just getting back into audio after a long break raising kids etc.

TBH I'm a little daunted at the prospect as in the past hifi has led to manic OCD, obsessiveness and crushing disappointments whilst chasing some elusive audio nirvana.

No doubt like others I've probably lost thousands and at times had to put up with some dire sounds due to poor purchases.

Last satisfying system was in 2006. A Notts Analogue TT, Trigon Vanguard Phono, MC25FL, Cambridge CDC, Sugden A21a into some Epos 11's. Not a bad system but I always hankered for valves.

Anyway, I now find myself with my old NA TT and MC25FL, a Yaquin MC13S that I haven't yet heard and some mint Totem Arros.

I'm awaiting delivery of some Mark Grant VD Hifi cables to hopefully fire it all up this week, fingers crossed I'll like the sound.

I'll be posting asking if anyone has a schematic of the Trigon Phono so that if I change the cart I can adjust the gain, also some advise on what would be a good replacement for the MC25FL. I was thinking trading in for an Ortofon Quinet bronze.

Anyway, happy listening!

I'm Martin.

Hi Anthony, welcome to the forum.

Know what you means about the thousands of pounds and the crushing disappointments, got a t-shirt somewhere. But it doesn't have to be that way.

Anyway let us know what happens when you get it all strung together - some pics would be good, too
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Hello Anthony. Welcome to AOS.

That's a nice selection of equipment you have. I'd imagine it all sounds pretty good together.

I rather like the MC25FL, I've had a couple. They're very musical. A trade in is one option. However, you could maybe consider a ZYX R50 Bloom as a step up at the sort of money you may be spending. Also, the Goldring Eroica LX is a great MC for the money, one that most people never consider. It has a very vibrant and pleasant presentation.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Anthony, and welcome back to audio.

Why do you want to change the Ortofon MC25FL? It's a very good cartridge - what is it about it that causes you to think of changing it? If you can give us an idea of what you want from a cartridge then we might be able to help.

Anyway I would agree with Geoff - in the meantime try to hear a Goldring Eroica and/or a ZYX.
    Barry

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Welcome to AoS Anthony, and welcome back to audio.

Why do you want to change the Ortofon MC25FL? It's a very good cartridge - what is it about it that causes you to think of changing it? If you can give us an idea of what you want from a cartridge then we might be able to help.

Anyway I would agree with Geoff - in the meantime try to hear a Goldring Eroica and/or a ZYX.
    Hi

I was going to change for no other reason that that the MC25FL is old and hadn't been used for some 9 yrs or so.

As it turns out I fired it up last week and it sounds fine. The cantilever does seem to be at a slight angle to the left but if I recall it was always this way and tracks fine.

I'm planning to change my vinyl front end soon so may go the whole hogs and get a new cartridge as well.

I was thinking about a trade in on a quintet bronze but will see what is suggested whenever I get a new deck.

Cheers guys
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Grant.

yes the Ortofon is a good un. NA decks are all pretty good
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread