View Poll Results: How do you rate this album?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

0 0%
  • 2/10

0 0%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

0 0%
  • 5/10

0 0%
  • 6/10

0 0%
  • 7/10

3 33.33%
  • 8/10

1 11.11%
  • 9/10

3 33.33%
  • 10/10

2 22.22%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Album Club, May 2017: Paul Simon - 'There Goes Rhymin' Simon'

I'm Curator.

Default Album Club, May 2017: Paul Simon - 'There Goes Rhymin' Simon'

The Album Club choice for May comes courtesy of Martin (high.spirits) with 'There Goes Rhymin' Simon'. As always, please listen to the album in its entirety before you comment and/or vote.

My choice this time around is Paul Simon’s “There Goes Rhymin' Simon”.

This is a bit of trip down memory lane. Paul Simon has been one of my favourite artists for a long time. His original song writing and production makes him just that bit different from the average singer songwriter.

This is his third solo studio album released on May 5, 1973.

I like the flow of this album and it has a certain feel good factor.

It contains songs covering several styles and genres, such as gospel ("Loves Me Like a Rock") and Dixieland ("Take Me to the Mardi Gras").

In the United Kingdom, the album peaked at #4. Also "Take Me to the Mardi Gras" was released in the UK as a single reaching the Top 20.

The song "Kodachrome" is named after the Kodak film of the same name. Kodak required the album to note that Kodachrome is a trademark of Kodak. The song was not released as a single in Britain, where it could not be played on BBC radio due to its trademarked name. Crazy or what by today’s standards!

The song "Was a Sunny Day" has an interesting reference to early rock and roll in the line "She called him Speedo but his Christian name was Mr. Earl" which echoes the chorus from the 1955 song "Speedo" by The Cadillacs: "They often call me Speedo but my real name is Mr. Earl," referring to lead singer, Earl "Speedo" Carroll.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Simon

http://www.last.fm/music/Paul+Simon/...min'+Simon

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...O0w9AznGh_qB6K

https://play.spotify.com/album/50pzpI17hwQj7LKcOiLMFD
    Last edited by Barry; 02-05-2017 at 14:18. Reason: Error in username corrected.

I'm DAVE.

Superb album, up there with his first IMO

Excellent choice

Cheers....Dave

I'm Martin.

Thanks Dave, glad you like it.

It's got to be 10/10 from me, as was my choice and often on the turntable.
    GyroDec 2M Black, Amplification: Luxman 505ux.
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth HL-K6

Quad 99 CD, Amplifier: Teac A H 500i, Loudspeakers: SCM11

Receiver: Teac CR H500, Loudspeakers: B&W CDM 1NT

I'm Grant.

Got this on vinyl, cd, and file, plus listen on spotify, like now... not a bad track on it. 19/10 but can only give 10. Paul Simon is a US national treasure.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Got this on vinyl, cd, and file, plus listen on spotify, like now... not a bad track on it. 19/10 but can only give 10. Paul Simon is a US national treasure.
    Totally agree Grant.

I'm Simon.

I quite enjoyed this album after a few listens and as a whole i thought it works well and there are some nice tunes on it. If you didn't know paul Simon was a good song writer already. I must admit I've always been a Simon and garfunkel fan, much more than his solo work.

I always think paul Simon is a great singer and songwriter but his attempts at modern arrangements (for the time) are questionable. When he keeps it simple it really does work. So the acoustic number on this album 'st judys comet' really stands out for me. But when he tries too hard on 'tenderness' to try and come cross over into a big band crooning number, assuming he wrote this, it doesn't work as well as his basic folksy stuff. Take me to the Mardi Gras works better as a pop type country and western track for my tastes, but again it goes off of what he does best. Folk.

But the problem with this album for me is just this. If you've listened to him at his best with Simon and garfunkel and classical folk, in something like the album 'bridge over troubled water', it's a bit like owning a Ferrari and then going to a BMW with this album - it's won't be regarded as good as simply the ownership before was much better.

But it's often difficult for artists to really work as a solo artist, experimenting with styles, when they've found their name elsewhere. So albums like Graceland are just a bit annoying for me. Where he does too much, it detracts from the simplicity of his songwriting talent because at heart I think he is a folk writer. And what paul simon does best is write melodies and when he gets it right, boy does he - eg something like 'el condor pasa'

So if 10/10 was the quality of tracks like the boxer or bridge over troubled water etc, these tracks cannot consistently match that quality. So it's not a 10/10 for me. I'd give it 7/10. I definitely buy it but it suits a mood and it's definitely good, but not the best of his work.

I'm Martin.

Thanks for your comprehensive feedback Simon.

It's good we all like different music and shades of that music within each genre, it makes this hobby so good. The AoS Album Club certainly gets me to listen to music I have never considered before.

I like the Bridge over Troubled Water album but thought I would choose this Album for AoS Album Club, as not so well known and provides a variety of styles to suit more tastes.

I'm Dave.

I've neglected the Album Club for far too long now, and I'm going to rectify it this month and start with this album on Spotify in the next few days.

Threads like this really do give me food for thought, and this is where Spotify (and others of course) come into their own. I've bought many a CD off the back of reading various forums and giving an album an initial listen on Spotify. Likewise, I've also saved a ton by NOT buying certain albums I had intended to buy after listening on Spotify first.
    I like everything really. From the britpop bands like UB40 right back to classic rock, like Wings. They're only the band the Beatles could have been.

I'm Richie.

Really good

I'm Loz.

I've never really taken much notice of Paul Simon, but to my surprise, I liked this. A good mix of tunes. Best tracks for me were 'Something So Right' and ' One Man's Ceiling Is Another Man's Floor'. A bit Steely Dan. Overall a good choice. Will get further listens. 7/10. Thanks for the suggestion.

+ Reply to Thread