+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: My set up

I'm Steve.

They sound very close to early Living Voices

I'm Edward.

£60! That's criminal. They look great.

Also been reading back on this thread and see that you have the Chevron NDF DAC - snap - awesome DAC. I'm always amazed at the sound this box can resolve. About a year ago Collin changed the USB board in mine - lifted things bigly (oops that nasty man over the water has a lot to answer for ).

Anyway Colin will have a record of what is in your box.

I may jump for his 24/384 DDDAC1794 implementation which he priced up for me. Heard it at Scalford back in March. Amazing.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Close, but that's is not true D'Appolito configuration which requires vertical inline driver alignment.

D'Appolito was far from being the first person to use this type of design in any case.
    Thanks for the info, and the education.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Steve.

Still enjoying these. Bizarre considering the money I've spent in the past.

I'm Shane.

Nothing beats a good ole bargain!!

S.

I'm Steve.

These have to be the biggest sound per pound speaker available by a large margin.

I'm Steve.

So at present I have a little WAD KEL84 XL, a Quad 909 / glass house passive pre, Harbeth P3 ESRs and Dali 104s sat on Living Voice plinths (perfect to the mm )

I'm a bit off piste but not too much but still struggling to settle.

I'd wanted to try some WAD kit for a long time after hearing a friends kT88 power amp and being impressed.
    The KEL 84 followed a leben CS300...no pressure for the little fella then!
    The first thing I noticed was they have a similar presentation, not suprising really given the pair of EL84s but the Leben has the best bass of any lower powered amp I've ever used and it beat the KEL in this area but the WAD was sweeter and more transparent and had more depth to the image but slightly softer overall. Maybe some tube rolling would show how responsive the amp is to changes. It's certainly a high quality amplifier that I'd have over a puresound or similar. It drives the Harbeths 'ok' but fines to life through the Dalis. Hard to believe you are listening to a £500 amp/ speaker conbination.

I bought the Quad as I had read so much about them over the years and fancied some solid state convenience for a bit. I paired this with a passive non tvc Glass house pre. I've not had much joy with passives in the past but this came highly recommended and a good price.
    So, the Quad through the Harbeths... hmmm I don't feel this a good match to be honest. The midrange is everything you could ask for but for some reason the Quad recesses the bass, it's all there, but set back and this pushes the Mids forward and makes me want to turn the volume higher to get more presence to the bottom end but I end feeling uncomfortable with the forward balance.
    The WAD is more balanced but the sound clings to the speakers more suggesting they probably do prefer a bit more power to cut loose.
    The glass house and quad 909 through the Dalis is an eye opener. The slightly warm bass of the Dalis is held perfectly in check by the Quad and voices are superb. The Dalis have a slightly sharp tweeter, not coarse, but sharper than the little Harbeths and the Quad seems to work with this and the overall feeling is they're a good match.
    I ordered brand new plinths from Definitive Audio, they improve them visually and raise the tweeter up a few inches and this really lifts the imaging and brings extra depth and detail to the Mids and somehow tightens the bass a bit more too.
    I'm Enjoying playing around with these un-obvious partners.

I'm Peter.

Interesting, isn't it? I've always found that getting the best match between amp and speakers can be really the most difficult, but important, part of system matching. Specifications get you in the ball-park, but the 'magic' doesn't always happen when you expect it. Have you ever tried a Marantz PM4, Steve? I sold my P3ESRs a while back, but I thought they were a bit special with that amp. I have one not being used at the moment, PM me if you fancy borrowing it.

I'm Steve.

That's very kind Pete. I've tried a PM4 before with the little Harbeths and it was quite nice but slightly thin compared with the Sonneteer Alabaster I had at the time. I regret selling that actually. The only solid state amp in recent times that I've really enjoyed.

I'm Steve.

This weeks toys

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast