+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget Active Speakers

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    Is iTunes bad on windows?
    iTUnes is ok on windows if :
    - your library is medium/small (less than 300 albums), and
    - your library is located on the local disk (not on a networked HD or another computer)
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    - your library is located on the local disk (not on a networked HD or another computer)
    Affirmative to both.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm notAlone.

Affirmative to both.
    Then, iTunes is one of the nicest and most convenient free softwares out there.
    Dimitri.

George Orwell

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

Not sure why you think this?

I have over 1200 albums on networked HDs & have no problems at all!! So could you explain what your getting at?
    alfie
    Main System: Denon DP-6000 VPI Base/Fidelity Research FR64s/Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII/Shelter 901/Auditorium 23 SUT/Pure Sound P10/SB Touch or Audio Note CDT & M2Tech Young Dac/BL Audio LP-1/New Audio Frontiers KT66 Legend/Living Voice OBX.
    2nd System: PC/Foobar/E-MU 0404 pci (Modded)/AVI ADM9/Rel Strata II subs.

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie2902 View Post
    Not sure why you think this?

I have over 1200 albums on networked HDs & have no problems at all!! So could you explain what your getting at?
    You have no problems ?

Try one day to rip an album without being absolutely certain that your network HD is reachable, you will understand.

EDIT:
    I forgot about the size: iTunes is the least effective software to scroll through a 1000CDs library. Any other does the job better. Even Foobar (which was not designed -initially- as a library management software).
    Last edited by Themis; 19-01-2010 at 16:16.
    Dimitri.

George Orwell

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

Thanks Jerry and I've just spotted the AudioEngine A2.
    I bought a pair of these for my son to use on his PC for music & gaming. Used with a DAC on a wire they do sound bloody good for the money (with or without the toy DAC TBH!) http://www.penguinamp.com/USB-DAC-Ca...e3220f39ff611a

They are not active speakers though, they are powered speakers. They do though produce quite a big sound for such a small speaker with tiny drivers. No real bass extention to talk of & seem to be tuned with a slight thickening to the lower mids, still very pleasent sounding though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTS3BBTfgQY

I've also heard the A5 similar house sound but with a better low end. They do need some room around them but are a good solution. You would probably get a more accurate sound from a similar priced home studio monitor but would be trading the A5s warmth for accuracy!

Cheers, alfie
    alfie
    Main System: Denon DP-6000 VPI Base/Fidelity Research FR64s/Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII/Shelter 901/Auditorium 23 SUT/Pure Sound P10/SB Touch or Audio Note CDT & M2Tech Young Dac/BL Audio LP-1/New Audio Frontiers KT66 Legend/Living Voice OBX.

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

You have no problems ?

Try one day to rip an album without being absolutely certain that your network HD is reachable, you will understand.

EDIT:
    I forgot about the size: iTunes is the least effective software to scroll through a 1000CDs library. Any other does the job better. Even Foobar (which was not designed -initially- as a library management software).
    I've had no problems to date! may-be just luck

I use Foobar2000 to listen but the kids & Sally use itunes to listen, so I rip Apple lossless & also convert a lossy file for ipod use. Again no problems! I've had to use EAC on a couple of scratched CDs & again no problems!

iTunes & Foobar scroll the same depending on how you've set them up & they've both got a search filter! So again I don't agree with your edit!

iTunes on Windows XP (& Vista to some extent) needs some work to bypass k-mixer though to get a bit-perfect output! an Apple Mac will do this straight out of the box!
    Last edited by alfie2902; 19-01-2010 at 16:46.
    alfie

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I've been lucky too, then: 2,000 + albums on an external USB Hard Drive with no real issues on iTunes (AAC 256)... Running on a ropey 7 year old laptop...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Lee.

So, functionally, and aurally, it works fine, yeah?
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

So, functionally, and aurally, it works fine, yeah?
    Yes mate!

Which windows OS does the PC use?

EDIT: If you use Airport Express it will be bit - perfect anyway with Windows
    Last edited by alfie2902; 19-01-2010 at 18:51.
    alfie

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast