+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Budget Active Speakers

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I couldn't afford the AVI amp-packs for the N5's last year and now they've sold out Not an active solution, but as the passive crossover is so simple and the packs had a fair bit of welly to them and fitted exactly on the back, this would have made an excellent office monitoring system when I cannot use the main one.........
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinspain View Post
    Have you bought anything yet Webby ?
    I am getting closer to the A5's myself so would love to hear more if or when you have got some speakers..
    Sorry Steve, no I haven't, or should I say, my Father In Law hasn't. I posed the question based on an idea for an easy streaming system for him, see?
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I do have some Neutron 5's, and am using them in my main stereo along with the sub. Compared to my old stereo, they are really rather amazing for the money. They can not compete with my old gear but then again, they cost way way less. I would love to get some ADM9.1's but sadly am not rich enough - anyone got any to sell ? I could then use the 5.1 2.1's for the computer...! Oh to be richer.
    Lee/Webby - sorry - I did realise you were asking for the father-in-law but had hoped you might have bought something - I am an impatient person !

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

AVI do now make the 2.1 sub/amp system for the N5's. Don't know whether it would be affordable though.

If only the "fishies" would give the N5 an unbiased listen, these would make a wonderful upgrade from kans.......

Dave - I have the sub/amp system already, and it is way better than Kans (from my dulled memory) As you say, people ought to listen first, but then Asley of AVI is rather confrontational... However, I bought the speakers/amp and don't really care what he has to say. I had never heard of AVI until I read one of those 27 page threads on PFM, so clearly it is a type of advertising that gets some results, and I don't suppose AVI are really aimed at the PFM market (though I could not define what that is !)

I'm David.

I could write a book on what's gone on, but Ash only started there to correct some of the abuse going on regarding "speakerettes" with amps and dacs inside etc. etc.

Typing what you're trying to say is a minefield and I have to be careful to express my opinions "in my opinion." Sometimes in the heat of the moment, something can be posted supposedly as fact when it needs some elaboration and the character JC didn't help with his winding up and put-downs, which rather angered the fishies even more...

IMO, the N5's are fantastic little miniatures and probably do have less distortion and colouration than many bigger "budget" speakers. I suspect the ADM's do too, especially in the midrange and crossover region when compared to nigh on forty year old monitors which are still revered, but the trouble is that people have then taken it that a 6" bass unit will equal a 12" or even a 15" driver in the bass region, which of course isn't quite right. Anyway, the Chinese market have asked for a huge three way and the possibility is being looked at and researched I understand...............

Anyway, those Behringers look to be amazing value at less than £200 for an active speaker and supposedly they equal the Genelecs at £2K - that remains to be seen, but as far eastern speakers like this can be imported for peanuts then £200pr is still profitable..

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    AVI do now make the 2.1 sub/amp system for the N5's. Don't know whether it would be affordable though.

If only the "fishies" would give the N5 an unbiased listen, these would make a wonderful upgrade from kans.......
    Yebbut a baked-bean tin with a transistor radio speaker inside would make a wonderful upgrade from Kans.

I'm David.

You naughty person...

I'm Chris.

Here's another interesting budget active speaker:

In a category of £230 - £250 against KRK RP5, Behringer Truth 2031A and Roland DS5, the Samson Rubicon 5A took first place. The panel agreed only the Rubicons could be trusted, describing the overall spectrum as "a lot more balanced." Producer Jon Musgrave commented, "It wasn't very long ago that monitors of the same calibre as the Samson Rubicon R5A would be £500 plus." In fact, the Rubicon R5A will cost you in the region of just £235.
    http://www.soundtech.co.uk/samson/news/rubiconfmawards

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipmen...monitor--25854
    Last edited by technobear; 16-02-2010 at 10:48. Reason: Added an extra link
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

I'm Chris.

In fact there's a goodly selection all round here:

http://www.dv247.com/search/2940/0/P...Ascending/-/1/
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456