+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What can make a speaker vibrate (buzz)?

I'm Dennis.

If there is no rubbing even when biasing the cone in all 360 degree directions, (displacing slightly its axis), I would suspect something has become detached.

There is also the slight possibility that something is being attracted to the magnet and being pulled against the cone by magnetic force, and rattling when the speaker is used. I have seen this on tweeters, in fact my new ATC 50s had it and I removed steel fragments carefully with a screwdriver with another magnet attached. WITH MUCH CARE.

It may be a few overheated turns of the voice coil, and they could possibly be re-fixed with a little superglue inserted into the detachment 'crack', removing all excess immediately. If the V/C is detaching from the cone araldite is suitable, this being used by ATC to attach V/C s to cones, in their case I believe 'quickset'. If the cone is plastic I would use superglue for this as well, but of course it is not much of a gap filler and better for fine crack breaks.

Bigman80 Guest

I had an issue like this on an old pair of speakers, certain frequencies (usually a C chord) made a horrendous vibrating sound. Turned out to be a brace in the speaker cab. Reglued using gorilla wood glue and all was well. They were Wharfdales​ IIRC

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Are you sure its the bass speaker, piano would also affect the mid range put your ear close and listen. Sometimes it can be more obvious at lower volumes.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I'm Andrew.

It's definitely the woofer Lawrence. Speakers are actually very simple things in essence, so it is annoying I cannot get to the bottom of the problem. I can't live with it as it is though, so it looks like surgery is going to be the only option (again!). I'll wait to see what Geoff's idea is first before I start the butchery.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    I'll wait to see what Geoff's idea is first before I start the butchery.
    I shall do a 'walk through' of the technique using an old bass drive unit. Photos will be included, so what needs to be done is clear to understand. Too knackered to do it now, after travelling most of the day. Give me a day or two and I'll have this ready.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

Much appreciated Geoff. I've now found the thread where I described my initial repair. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...light=magister It will give you a bit of background.( and maybe a laugh!) I did manage to get both working initially and I've only just noticed the distortion now but it could have been a fault since the'repair' I suppose.

I'm Andrew.

Just to add, and I hope this does not mess up anything Geoff may or may not have done yet, that when I next remove the driver I am going make a small change. The bass driver is fed a full frequency signal directly from the speaker inputs whereas the mid and tweeter signals go through the crossover. I wondered if I could eliminate the problem frequency by using an inductor and a zobel. It might work if the issue emanates from higher frequencies going to bass. It seems it is worth trying anyway and may have added benefits in that the driver would only be fed the lower frequency signals.

I'm Dennis.

I'm sorry to say that I think it highly unlikely that your suggestion will be a cure.

It is more probable that the noise is a result of mechanical rubbing od some sort, and that sound will differ greatly and be very separate in nature from the output of the bass driver.

Even if you filter the input to the woofer, it will still produce a noise if the problem is caused by mechanical fouling.

I'm Andrew.

Thanks for your input Dennis. I think you are probably right. It is only that the fact that the fault is 'excited' by certain frequencies that makes me a little optimistic. To be honest the filter idea is an itch I've been wanting to scratch for a while and if it sounds worse I'll just take it out.

I'm Geoff.

As promised. I've described the technique I use for fixing rubbing coils.

I've put it in the Strokes of Genius section. Here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...169#post861169
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast