+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What can make a speaker vibrate (buzz)?

I'm Andrew.

Default What can make a speaker vibrate (buzz)?

The bass driver on one of my speakers is vibrating. Certain piano notes are the chief culprits. It does not happen all the time but certain frequencies or sounds result in a distinct buzz. The driver is 15inch and in a Goodmans Magister . I posted a thread a little while back on the repair of them when they were over driven at Christmas. I can't find the thread, but the repair involved sanding down the inside of the voice coil former which was scraping/jamming against the magnet. I thought the repair was successful but now this vibrating has started. When I push the cone there appears to be no scraping what so ever and it moves freely. Has anyone any ideas as to what could make the driver buzz?

I'm Rob.

It sounds like the voice coil rubbing, which is what the repair you did previously was attempting to correct. Over time gravity can make the cones sag which causes voice coil rubbing. You could try turning the unit so that what is now the bottom is at the top to see if this makes any difference. If you think about how long they will have been in their current position.......
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Grant.

I did that with a set of 12" ones and it solved the problem
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

Thanks for the replies Rob and Grant. Sorry, I should have said I've tried turning it upside down. The obvious thing is rubbing. Is it possible for this to happen but to feel no rubbing or scraping when you push in the cone?

I'm Grant.

usually you would feel something. doesnt have to be much. Drivers might just be old; happens with some really big uns. Geoff might be more help but is on hols at moment.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

Thanks Grant. Seems to be totally free when I push on it. Very frustrating as I thought I'd sorted it out with the repair. I wrecked both of them at Christmas but only one is playing up. I don't really want to open them up again.

danilo Guest

Likely (clearly) the Overdriving did More damage than a rubbing voice coil, which was just the most obvious manifestation.
    Buzzing is often from a tear// possibly where the voice coil former attaches to the Cone.
    Rubber cement can be a reasonable repair, in the interim at least. to test/see IF that Is the problem.
    Beyond that... You get to buy a recone

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    The bass driver on one of my speakers is vibrating. Certain piano notes are the chief culprits. It does not happen all the time but certain frequencies or sounds result in a distinct buzz. The driver is 15inch and in a Goodmans Magister . I posted a thread a little while back on the repair of them when they were over driven at Christmas. I can't find the thread, but the repair involved sanding down the inside of the voice coil former which was scraping/jamming against the magnet. I thought the repair was successful but now this vibrating has started. When I push the cone there appears to be no scraping what so ever and it moves freely. Has anyone any ideas as to what could make the driver buzz?
    Been playing any Rimsky-Korsakov lately?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Geoff might be more help but is on hols at moment.
    Geoff has popped in briefly. I'll have a chat with you about this in a few days when I have more time Andrew. I reckon there may be a solution.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

Thanks Danilo, Geoff and Geoff who kindly interrupted his holiday.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast