+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Mains conditioner - home made as good as Isotek Aquarius

I'm Mike.

Is there anyway of testing your mains to see if you have a noise problem before buying anything?

Thanks

is there

I'm Dennis.

Look at the waveform on a scope.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Look at the waveform on a scope.
    Hope you inferred reading low voltage secondary voltages, as scopes are way too sensitive to use
    on mains primary readings. Low voltage secondaries to approx 20v AC can be read
    but not much more. Using a conventional scope has limitations with voltage.

Cheers / Chris

blackstar Guest

You can use a 10:1 probe and adjust the settings to suit. I've read mains on an oscilloscope many times in the past.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Correct!
    However, when you attenuate the voltage, you also attenuate the noise, making it harder to detect!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackstar View Post
    You can use a 10:1 probe and adjust the settings to suit. I've read mains on an oscilloscope many times in the past.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Yes - I didn't describe my point very well as I was rather time pressured. What I meant is that the system sounded the same whether the SM power amp was wired into the dedicated ring the rest of the gear used or plugged into the normal house ring. Of course this doesn't particularly prove anything. The particular amp I'm referring to is intended to be used in the pro arena and likely with a whole bank of identical units (one for each pair of drive units); it will certainly be complying with all the relevant international RFI standards. Finally, as Marco implies, although I did compare I didn't really go searching for issues and was quite happy to let this particular sleeping dog lie after a relatively cursory investigation.
    Yup... All you can do with these things is 'suck it and see', as you'll never achieve the same results in every system, or property where tests are tried, simply because both mains quality itself and sensitivity of the equipment to it varies, thus what happens in the final analysis is dependent on a number of factors.

However, experience tells me that when noise/interference are effectively addressed by the judicious use of filters, mains regenerators, separate spurs, etc, particularly when as a result mains impedance is reduced to a notable degree, the effect of that is *always* very clearly audible

Incidentally, one of the most effective ways I've found of reducing noise on the mains, which usurps that of anything discussed here, and which is rarely mentioned, is installing a dedicated earth solely for your hi-fi system, via the use of multiple copper rods [plunged into a damp area of your garden], which is tagged onto a separate mains spur (with consumer unit).

The installation of said dedicated earth almost completely isolates your system from noise/interference present on the standard house ring-main and earth, in a way that simply isn't possible with a separate spur alone, and subsequently allows your system to perform to its maximum capability. In my view, if it's practical to achieve in the property where you live, this should be done before the purchase of any expensive active mains treatments, as it could negate any need for their use at all.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by blackstar View Post
    NO this is not to be done,

1. Because the oscilloscope ground probe is at safety earth potential - inviting active mains
    to be shorted, or neutral to be shorted to safety earth !.
    To qualify this a bit more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUVpRVI06cc move cursor to 8.03

2. Scope Probes are not designed for high voltages, although they appear insulated they do not meet
    insulation criteria for high voltage measurements.

To do such a measurement you would traditionally use a isolation transformer at much lower potential
    so always viewing from the secondary side of that transformer to see the primary waveform.

Or use an industry approved isolation device designed for such measurement to then interface
    with an oscilloscope,

Cheers / Chris
    Last edited by Light Dependant Resistor; 09-05-2017 at 08:10.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Chris,
    With all due respect, I am pretty sure that the safety aspect was not at question here, Milo [Blackstar] was merely explaining that the mains can be read on a scope, using attenuation!
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    NO this is not to be done,

1. Because the oscilloscope ground probe is at safety earth potential - inviting active mains
    to be shorted, or neutral to be shorted to safety earth !.
    To qualify this a bit more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUVpRVI06cc move cursor to 8.03

2. Scope Probes are not designed for high voltages, although they appear insulated they do not meet
    insulation criteria for high voltage measurements.

To do such a measurement you would traditionally use a isolation transformer at much lower potential
    so always viewing from the secondary side of that transformer to see the primary waveform.

Or use an industry approved isolation device designed for such measurement to then interface
    with an oscilloscope,

Cheers / Chris
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

blackstar Guest

Battery powered scopes are ideal for this, but I disagree about the probes not being up to it. I have had to probe mains on many occasions in the past, and I used an old battleship of a scope and its probe (I think it was called Powerscope - its been that long); I assure you that it was designed to scope big voltages.

With regard to attenuation of noise with a 10:1 probe, you just need to examine the waveform more carefully. I will say that I was never examining waveforms for the noise they were carrying in the past, so my experience may vary from yours.

I'm Chris.

Hi Anthony
    No it cannot be done safely without an isolation device because of the design of scopes
    BNC which is wired to safety earth, this then extends out to the probe flying lead

Scope probes have the probe ground at safety earth potential. Grab a multimeter
    and confirm close to zero ohms.

Now picture the scope ground lead connecting to active mains - you then get the
    scope probe ground diverting active straight to safety earth.

So always measure using a isolation transformer or approved device
    to interface with a scope.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast