+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mains conditioner - home made as good as Isotek Aquarius

I'm Martin.

star earthed is what is meant I think Andrew
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SL1200 with Sumiko h/s & Nagaoka MP50 * Firebottle valve MM phono stage * Parasound CDPi1000 * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S Thompson

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    In my opinion equipment should be designed on the assumption that the mains is noisy rubbish of uncertain voltage. It should take steps to deal with it and make sure it works properly anyway. However, we have to live with things as they are, not things as we would like them to be. Probably the worst offenders for not dealing with poor mains are power amps. Most other things should be a lot more immune to noise on the mains.

BTW, what's a star wired mains block?
    One in which each outlet socket is wired in a radial fashion to the incoming cable, rather than 'daisy chained' as is more usual with distribution strips.

I don't think it makes the slighest difference, but it could be argued that star wiring allows each socket to see the same source impedance.
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I don't think it makes the slighest difference...
    No, me neither - the wire lengths and loop areas would be so small as to be insignificant anyway.

I'm Simon.

That's what this music works lite devices I borrowed was like, and it didn't offer any improvement.

It looks like someone saw me coming with a £500 price for no difference to a normal £5.99 block from Jewson.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Hi All,
    please see the link below, they are now being built, and produced by Mark Grant, they have been in use now for many years, I used to build them myself, but Mark has now taken over the production of them.
    Hope this helps.
    Anthony,TD...
    http://tubedistinctions.co.uk/mains-filters/
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    One in which each outlet socket is wired in a radial fashion to the incoming cable, rather than 'daisy chained' as is more usual with distribution strips.

I don't think it makes the slighest difference, but it could be argued that star wiring allows each socket to see the same source impedance.
    Sorry, Barry, but I have to disagree, as years of experience in experimenting with these things has shown me differently. Don't get me wrong, the sonic improvement gained with star-earthing isn't huge, but it's significant enough to be heard, as indeed is every time lowering mains impedance (via any means) has been achieved.

Experience has shown me that the ideal mains distribution block (should one be needed) is:

a) Non-filtered with no neon lights.
    b) Uses high-quality single un-switched sockets and a non-ferrous casing.
    c) Star-earthed, using a good quality wiring loom.
    d) Has a hard-wired, high-quality mains flex and plug.

Anyone who can't hear the difference between one of the above and your average mass-produced shite, from B&Q, is deaf!

Marco.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do". - Milan Kundera.

"Your validity or worth are not defined or determined by the views of others with their own superimposed agendas". - Pharos (on AoS)

My system:

Modified Technics SL-1210MK5G/Mike New high-precision bearing & baseplate/Mike New ETP platter/Bruil record weight/Nagaoka GL602 crystal T/T mat. Paul Hynes SR7EHD PSU (plus regulator modules)/DCSXL pure-silver DC lead. Ortofon RS-212D tonearm/'Speedy Steve' custom-made Ebony armboard. Yannis Tome 423.5 Phono Silver-Litz tonearm cable, with Furutech CF-DIN(R) and Eichmann silver Bullet Plugs. Cartridges: Denon DL-S1 in AT MG-10 headshell with AT-6106 Quattro Hybrid lead-wire. Denon DL-103C1 in '103U' headshell with AT-609 silver lead-wire. Vintage Denon DL-103AU in AT-Ti15ANV Titanium Headshell. Shure M55E in Denon PCL-300 headshell with 6N silver lead-wire. Shure original USA SC35C. Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 transport/DAC. Raspberry Pi-3 Model B and IQaudio Pi-DAC+/Paul Hynes SR3DR-05 linear PSU/Williams Audio NAS linear PSU. Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X preamp. Stereo Coffee LDR. Head-amp: Paul Hynes design/SR5 PSU. Also modified Lentek. Tube Distinctions 50W Class A P/P Copper amp with cryo-treated Tung Sol KT150s. Speakers: 'Lockwood Majors', using 15" Tannoy Monitor Golds, modified with bespoke crossovers. Also Celestion Ditton 15XRs. Stands: Mana Acoustics (non-magnetic stainless steel 'clones’). Hi-Fi Racks Podium T/T wall shelf. Sony ST-5055L tuner. Cables: Furukawa EE/F-S 2mm & 2.6mm solid-core mains leads, fitted with Furutech FI-50 IECs and FI-1363Rs. Stereo interconnects: Sommer Carbokab 225 (with silver-plated MS Audio non-metallic POM RCAs). Speaker cable: VDH 'The Wind' Hybrid II. Digital coaxial cable: 1m Trompeter Electronics Triax TRC-75-2, with MS Audio ‘Starline' silver-plated RCAs. Mains block: Mark Grant 6-way, modded with Furutech FP-1363R sockets and Furukawa cable. Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW 16.5 record cleaner.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Sorry, but I have to disagree, as years of experience in experimenting with these things has shown me differently. Don't get me wrong, the improvement with star-earthing isn't huge, but it's significant enough to be heard, as indeed is any time lowering mains impedance (via any means) has been achieved.

Experience has shown me that the ideal mains distribution block (should one be needed) is:

a) Non-filtered, with no neon lights.
    d) Uses a hard-wired, high-quality mains flex and plug.

Anyone who can't hear the difference between one of the above and your average mass-produced shite, from B&Q, is deaf!

Marco.
    What you say sonny?
    Regards,
    Grant ....
    Sometimes incompetence is useful. It helps you keep an open mind.
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    IMUTO TAURUS X4 BATTERY SUPPLY. - RPI2B & AUDIOPHONICS DAC running MOODE 3.6- TONBRUX BATTERY SUPPLY & CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no1 - JBE SERIES 3 SLATEDECK & EMOTIVA XPS-1 PHONO - DENON DV2900 & HEAVILY MODDED MF X10v3. BERESFORD SWITCHBOX. - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS. - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP. -AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER22, SPOTIFY PREMIUM- OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES, KINPS CABLES, SMSL M6 MINIDAC, CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no2 POWERED BY ANKER BATTERY PSU - FULL RANGE TWIN & SINGLE TELEFUNKEN's - TANDBERG TCD310 - CARTS.. AT95 Shibata, SHURE M55E original, JVC MD1029. - RCA CABLES BY BRIAN SPKR CABLES BY MOI HAIR BY MARCO FEET BY ELECTRICBEACH - MAINS REGENERATED BY POWERINSPIRED AND FILTERED BY BELKIN PUREAV.

I'm Simon.

I think it's all system and mains dependent as to whether you can hear a difference in one of these star earthed blocks so I don't think it's as simple as saying if you can't hear a difference you must be deaf.

I should have, in theory and considering the price, heard a difference with the music works mains lite block at £500 (using their power lead at £300 ish) but the combined £800 difference was the same to my ears as a £35 Tacima block. About £15k worth of newish speakers, amps and cables was being used, just to say so you can take a view.

But at the Bristol show as I think I might have said, I did the isotek test. Sure many others have too! Speakers were Larsen speakers like the neat iota alphas in design. Amps were an exposure intergrated and exposure CD player. In total about £6k worth I think. Using the Ikea block, then going to the isotek Polaris, then the Aquarius and up to their latest most expensive offering, the changes were very marked. The Aquarius versus the Ikea sounded like a different amp. More dynamics, detail, and speed of attack. You'd expect this in a noisy environment but when you've got sensitive hi fi at home, I suspect it still makes a very good difference.

I reckon this is where the wise money is, if you want an upgrade on using power devices. All these power blocks that are just elaborate powerbars with nothing but a bit of copper in them maybe wired in a different way, and expensive for what they are, are a bit of a con on my experience - but I always accept others have different views. But I've consistently seen people saying they get more from power conditioning and mains regeneration than elaborate non filtered power blocks. You just need the right conditioned ones and decent devices which are sometimes expensive.

I'm trying a isol-8 minisub axis next week at home from paul at hi fi lounge, and will feed back results. It's expensive but it could take my system up a notch. It has common mode and differential rejection and dc filtering. The isotek Aquarius doesn't have dc filtering I don't think.

I'd hazard a guess devices like these will do a lot for most decent systems.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamics View Post
    I should have, in theory and considering the price, heard a difference with the music works mains lite block at £500 (using their power lead at £300 ish) but the combined £800 difference was the same to my ears as a £35 Tacima block.
    I should point out that what I outlined earlier shouldn't cost anything like £800!

Marco.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do". - Milan Kundera.

"Your validity or worth are not defined or determined by the views of others with their own superimposed agendas". - Pharos (on AoS)

My system:

Modified Technics SL-1210MK5G/Mike New high-precision bearing & baseplate/Mike New ETP platter/Bruil record weight/Nagaoka GL602 crystal T/T mat. Paul Hynes SR7EHD PSU (plus regulator modules)/DCSXL pure-silver DC lead. Ortofon RS-212D tonearm/'Speedy Steve' custom-made Ebony armboard. Yannis Tome 423.5 Phono Silver-Litz tonearm cable, with Furutech CF-DIN(R) and Eichmann silver Bullet Plugs. Cartridges: Denon DL-S1 in AT MG-10 headshell with AT-6106 Quattro Hybrid lead-wire. Denon DL-103C1 in '103U' headshell with AT-609 silver lead-wire. Vintage Denon DL-103AU in AT-Ti15ANV Titanium Headshell. Shure M55E in Denon PCL-300 headshell with 6N silver lead-wire. Shure original USA SC35C. Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 transport/DAC. Raspberry Pi-3 Model B and IQaudio Pi-DAC+/Paul Hynes SR3DR-05 linear PSU/Williams Audio NAS linear PSU. Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X preamp. Stereo Coffee LDR. Head-amp: Paul Hynes design/SR5 PSU. Also modified Lentek. Tube Distinctions 50W Class A P/P Copper amp with cryo-treated Tung Sol KT150s. Speakers: 'Lockwood Majors', using 15" Tannoy Monitor Golds, modified with bespoke crossovers. Also Celestion Ditton 15XRs. Stands: Mana Acoustics (non-magnetic stainless steel 'clones’). Hi-Fi Racks Podium T/T wall shelf. Sony ST-5055L tuner. Cables: Furukawa EE/F-S 2mm & 2.6mm solid-core mains leads, fitted with Furutech FI-50 IECs and FI-1363Rs. Stereo interconnects: Sommer Carbokab 225 (with silver-plated MS Audio non-metallic POM RCAs). Speaker cable: VDH 'The Wind' Hybrid II. Digital coaxial cable: 1m Trompeter Electronics Triax TRC-75-2, with MS Audio ‘Starline' silver-plated RCAs. Mains block: Mark Grant 6-way, modded with Furutech FP-1363R sockets and Furukawa cable. Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW 16.5 record cleaner.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Sorry, Barry, but I have to disagree, as years of experience in experimenting with these things has shown me differently. Don't get me wrong, the sonic improvement gained with star-earthing isn't huge, but it's significant enough to be heard, as indeed is every time lowering mains impedance (via any means) has been achieved.

a) Non-filtered with no neon lights.
    d) Uses a hard-wired, high-quality mains flex and plug.

Marco.
    So what about the Mark Grant (or was it made by Anthony?) mains filter unit you use?
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast