+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mains conditioner - home made as good as Isotek Aquarius

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Simon.

Default Mains conditioner - home made as good as Isotek Aquarius

I just wondered if anyone is skilled enough on this forum to have ever tried to make their own mains conditioning power bar or seperates conditioning unit, similar to the isotek Aquarius. Or power bar like the isotek Sirius.

Looking at what goes into the Aquarius it's not much but I'm sure the order of items on the circuit and their tolerances and quality all play their part into making one product better than another. But much of what I hear (from electrical engineer friends) is you just need a filter and I'm always a bit dubious it will be as good. And also the hobbyists making these types of units have been making rather rudimentary ones, which again I'm dubious of being as good as the isotek.

But I've heard these isotek devices in demos against b and q power blocks, and they can make a very good difference to decent hi fi. The Aquarius made an exposure amp sound like a different one, in a test at the Bristol show.

Problem is they are £1500 and for what's inside ?

It strikes me therefore why a hobbyist electrical engineer and hi fi fan hasn't just tried to look at what's in these isotek devices and build a copy or similar, which I'm sure wouldn't be breaking any copyright. Have a bake off and compare it to a b and q bar, and sell them on forums. They could make a few quid and buy a nice case too.

I suppose this is is a bit of a selfish question for me as I'm in the market for something like an Aquarius, when I can, but paying £1500 for what it is, is hard to stomach.

http://cdn2.mos.techradar.futurecdn....nno-580-90.jpg
    Last edited by Dynamics; 28-04-2017 at 21:24. Reason: Picture adding

+ Reply to Thread