+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Yorkshiremans gear 2017

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshireman View Post
    So on a passive pre what is the benefit of having one, than not having one ?.

As without one there is less in the signal path ?.
    You have to have some means of controlling what goes into your power amp. You'd not use one with an integrated amplifier (normally).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You have to have some means of controlling what goes into your power amp. You'd not use one with an integrated amplifier (normally).
    I already have that with my DAC as the output is variable, thats why I ask, as Phil, (hifinut) recommended getting one.
    Im just trying to understand what it would bring to my setup.

I'm Geoff.

I already have that with my DAC as the output is variable, thats why I ask, as Phil, (hifinut) recommended getting one.
    Im just trying to understand what it would bring to my setup.
    In that case you probably have no need for one unless you wish to select more than one source, but there are switching boxes that can do that job just as well for maybe less money.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    In that case you probably have no need for one unless you wish to select more than one source, but there are switching boxes that can do that job just as well for maybe less money.
    I only use 1 source my CDP,the dac has quite a few inputs even an analogue.

Thanks for all the info Geoff.

I'm Geoff.

Thanks for all the info Geoff.
    No probs!

I'm Phil.

its great you have bought stuff from tony , he has been to my house a good many times with gear and I have bought a lot . he once bought a belles vt-01 pre amp and I have never forgotten the texture and improvement in sound it gives

there is a huge amount written on passive pre amps if you google . however many argue over which is better . I took a passive music first pre to a friend and you could hear a huge improvement in soundstage and listenability.

many times as I have mentioned , if my pre is off for repair or sold to pay for house renovations [ loads sold for this reason !!] I have to use my 3.5 as a pre amp . yes its fantastic bass , and detail but I find sometimes if I turn it up it is not so good , it is a bit fatiguing . now with a good pre amp it is marvellous and I could listen all day

last week I had a fabulous italin pre amp , oh my gosh , did it bring realism and improved bass to the sound from my dac. !! now using my modwright dm pre which is also superb . you can get pre amps really cheaply so its great to experiment . if you don`t like you can sell . I am sure there are folks nearby who can bring one round to try
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    its great you have bought stuff from tony , he has been to my house a good many times with gear and I have bought a lot . he once bought a belles vt-01 pre amp and I have never forgotten the texture and improvement in sound it gives

there is a huge amount written on passive pre amps if you google . however many argue over which is better . I took a passive music first pre to a friend and you could hear a huge improvement in soundstage and listenability.

many times as I have mentioned , if my pre is off for repair or sold to pay for house renovations [ loads sold for this reason !!] I have to use my 3.5 as a pre amp . yes its fantastic bass , and detail but I find sometimes if I turn it up it is not so good , it is a bit fatiguing . now with a good pre amp it is marvellous and I could listen all day

last week I had a fabulous italin pre amp , oh my gosh , did it bring realism and improved bass to the sound from my dac. !! now using my modwright dm pre which is also superb . you can get pre amps really cheaply so its great to experiment . if you don`t like you can sell . I am sure there are folks nearby who can bring one round to try
    Hi Phil, thanks for the update, there is a passive pre on the forum classified now, a glasshouse with a few mods to resistors etc, would that be worth a try or do i want to look for something non passive ?.

I'm Phil.

yes , is that marko`s . he`s a great guy and yes that would be well worth having . not sure why not sold before

Eric Bibb

I'm Phil.

if you look on mfa news website site . a little way down you will see a link for Musgrave review in hi fi critic . that has discussion of the various passive pre amps inc glasshouse

https://mfaudio.co.uk/latest-news/

hattor also seems popular

Eric Bibb

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    if you look on mfa news website site . a little way down you will see a link for Musgrave review in hi fi critic . that has discussion of the various passive pre amps inc glasshouse

https://mfaudio.co.uk/latest-news/

hattor also seems popular
    thanks Phil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast