+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Yorkshiremans gear 2017

I'm Phil.

just a thought , if money was tight , you could operate your cd2 very well indeed using your vbs which has 3 outputs . and sell the vbl which would be redundant . be worth experimenting one day
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    just a thought , if money was tight , you could operate your cd2 very well indeed using your vbs which has 3 outputs . and sell the vbl which would be redundant . be worth experimenting one day
    That did cross my mind. I will have to experiment

Interesting little article on pre amps, may have to give the little glasshouse a try

I'm Phil.

yes I know the vbl theoretically is better to use it on its own with the cd2 but I used my cd2 very effectively using the vbs . I know tony will probably disagree with this though !!

Eric Bibb

I'm Mark.

Well thanks to Phil (hifinutt) for his advice, and pointing me in the direction of a Music First Audio pre amp, thanks Phil.

I now have a pre in they system and wow what a difference it has made,
    I was very sceptical about what a passive / tvc could add, but I have been very supprised, im loving it.

And now one of the inside

Last edited by Yorkshireman; 11-07-2017 at 08:01.

I'm Geoff.

Funny that. Many seem to disregard TVC pre-amps, but I'd not part with mine, it sounds wonderful.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Funny that. Many seem to disregard TVC pre-amps, but I'd not part with mine, it sounds wonderful.
    Geoff, Ive had it in the system for 2-3 weeks now and cannot fault it at all, give a nice sweet sound, with great bass extension, and very nice highs.
    Must admit I wasnt convinced how a load of wire (as in the tvc) could possible add anything, but I was very pleasantly supprised.

I'm Phil.

so pleased you could get it , i do love mfa amps

Eric Bibb

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    so pleased you could get it , i do love mfa amps
    Phil, its transformed the sound

I have also changed the VBS & VBL over, and with the VBL now feeding the DAC the soundstage has open up more with each instrument becoming clearer than before, with more tone and texture ovrall, bass has also tighten up.

Feeding the signal from the DAC to the MFA pre via XLR has also enhanced the sound, over using RCA cables

I'm Phil.

i guess because the xlr gives out more power

XLR 5.5Vrms or 7. RCA 2.75Vrms outputs

good suggestion re the vbl just feeding the dac

Eric Bibb

I'm Mark.

Well its been a while since my last update and a lot has happened,

I decided I needed to upgrade my pre and was set on upgrading my MFA classic copper to a V2 with upgraded transformers, I was lucky enough to get one on loan to try and while it was an improvement it was not as much as I was led to believe, it gave a slightly wider sound-stage and slightly better instrument separation, but i dint feel it was worth the £600. (only my opinion). I made an impulse purchase, and bought a used Trafomatic Reference one pre amp, I loved the smooth valve sound and was pleased with my purchase, upon playing more tunes over the coming weeks I was falling out of love with the sound, it was just not what I liked. I definitely prefer my sound neutral, clean and tight, so I was again on the lookout for a passive pre. A loan of a Townshend Allegri was lined up from a friend of a friend, as soon as it went in the system I knew that was it, aster a few more weeks I was loving the Allegri pre, neutral with a slight hit of sweetness, nice smooth top end and textured, tight, extended bass. So I placed my order for a New (thought i would treat myself) Townshend Allegri+ (the new version 2 of the Allegri). As soon as it arrived in it went, 1 week of constant running in, and wow, even better than the original Allegri, deeper tighter bass, smooth midrange and sparkling topend.

Next I turned my attention to isolating my speakers and rack, I had already decided upon using Track Audio Isolation feet / platforms, I found a used pair of large speaker platforms for a steal of a price, and also some separate isolation feet at a nice price, all were snapped up. The speakers were positioned on the leveled platforms, and wow, getting the speakers off the floor has really tightened the presentation and opened up the sound. Next i fitted the isolation feet to the rack i was using 3 feet on each part , again this helped with imaging and getting everything isolated from the suspended floor.

I also experimented with Black Ravioli pads under the equipment, and this had a positive outcome, reaping better tone and texture.

My next update was to update my Coherent 4D interconnects to 5D, giving a smoother, detailed, openness to the music.

Last update was to change my Missing link cryo ref mains cables to LessLoss DFPC Reference mains cables.

I have been listening to music more and more over the last few months and Im loving the system, I would hesitate to say in done but for now i am. (After Ive painted the walls)

Last edited by Yorkshireman; 30-12-2017 at 23:19. Reason: spelling

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast