+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New speakers... 2 pairs of new speakers

I'm martin.

Default New speakers... 2 pairs of new speakers

Horning Agathon Ultimate

horning1.jpg

Elipson 1303 (a vintage copy of, from Far East)

horning.jpg

I'm Rick.

Do you have a fav?

I'm Andrew.

The Epsilon(?) look interesting, where did you find them?

I'm Chris.

Default Plastic Zigmahornets!

The above spurred me to post (poor) pics of my Zigmahornets. Made with 1+1/2 inch polystyrene, lined with gold paper. Units are last Dave Merrill (RIP) 3 inchers. Have his 4 inchers in PAWO horns elsewhere. (See 6 Moons archive page under Dave Merrill.)
    Why poly? well, after getting extortionate quote for wood cutting, I recalled Wharfedale making a Poly speaker once, so....tried it. The walls are near porous (the lining helps to channel sound down) The pipe loading adds bass; surprisingly good bass. The single unit quality spurred me to get my Ocellias, which, after Avantgarde Duos, must be a sign?

DSC01064.jpgDSC01062.jpg
    Chris.

I'm Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    The above spurred me to post (poor) pics of my Zigmahornets. Made with 1+1/2 inch polystyrene, lined with gold paper. Units are last Dave Merrill (RIP) 3 inchers. Have his 4 inchers in PAWO horns elsewhere. (See 6 Moons archive page under Dave Merrill.)
    Why poly? well, after getting extortionate quote for wood cutting, I recalled Wharfedale making a Poly speaker once, so....tried it. The walls are near porous (the lining helps to channel sound down) The pipe loading adds bass; surprisingly good bass. The single unit quality spurred me to get my Ocellias, which, after Avantgarde Duos, must be a sign?

DSC01064.jpgDSC01062.jpg
    Never heard of polystyrene speakers before, interesting! How do they sound?

I'm martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_F View Post
    Do you have a fav?
    I've managed to put together 3 sets of speakers that are very different but all superb at what they do best.
    Can't say what are my favourites because it changes as I find better synergy between components. The Agathons are great for low volume listening.
    The Elipsons - I've only plugged them in to check they are working fine, so haven't critically evaluated .

I'm martin.

Quote Originally Posted by agk View Post
    The Epsilon(?) look interesting, where did you find them?

On Ebay - @100 pounds - they seemed criminally cheap.

I'm martin.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post

DSC01064.jpgDSC01062.jpg
    What a fantastic concept!

I'm Chris.

"How do they sound?"
    well, they image very well,(no cross-over artifacts to mess the phase up) and have quite a good frequency range, despite only being a 3 inch unit. If you dial up the 6 Moons review, you read that the bass surprised folk. Same here. As you see in my pics, I use them as 'Desktop', aka desk-SIDE, units.
    I have a history of using BIG speakers; full size Klipschhorns for 18 years, later A-G Duos, plus my Leak 3090s upstairs, so was rather sceptical of mini-speakers. But these opened my ears!
    (Apologies for jacking this thread!) (-:
    Chris.

+ Reply to Thread