+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Good Grado SR80

I'm Shane.

Default The Good Grado SR80

Have been using SR80's now for over 6 years. They are a bit flawed, and lacking some refinement. Their presentation is more towards the forward side. Highs can also be provoked with some bad recordings. At the same time they are revealing, and can show the quality differences from each track from the album.

The SR80's have a good certain ability, way of communicating the feeling and beat to the listener's ear. Rhythm and timing is nearly second to none.

What an excellent headphone!! Sound nice with valves too!

EDIT: Just to point out. My SR80's are pretty old. These predate the i & e generation.

S.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    Have been using SR80's now for over 6 years. They are a bit flawed, and lacking some refinement. Their presentation is more towards the forward side. Highs can also be provoked with some bad recordings. At the same time they are revealing, and can show the quality differences from each track from the album.

The SR80's have a good certain ability, way of communicating the feeling and beat to the listener's ear. Rhythm and timing is nearly second to none.

What an excellent headphone!! Sound nice with valves too!

EDIT: Just to point out. My SR80's are pretty old. These predate the i & e generation.

S.
    I bought some grado sr225's a few years ago and they are fantastic and have a very detailed trebeley sound to them. I only use them with iPods etc, but I should really get a decent headphone amp. I agree with you that grado are fantastic

danilo Guest

Had a pair since `95 Yes they are decent A few (google) easy mods improves them noticeably though.
    Worst part is their fit'.
    Their WW2 styling is bad enough but their comfort level is anachronistic in the 21st century
    Mine tend to the uncomfortable after a half hour or so. Again, there are improvements possible
    Best to consider those small but effective upgrades.. before upgrading the Head Amp.

I'm Peter.

Agree with your description of the SR80s, Shane. I once spent an afternoon at a dealer who stocked all the Grado headphomes, working my way up the range. It turned out the ones I enjoyed most were the 80s (which were second from bottom, price-wise). Certainly, they had more life and energy about them ... the 'better', more refined, top of the range jobs, sounded rather boring in comparison. I concluded they were the 'Naim' of the headphone world!

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Agree with your description of the SR80s, Shane. I once spent an afternoon at a dealer who stocked all the Grado headphomes, working my way up the range. It turned out the ones I enjoyed most were the 80s (which were second from bottom, price-wise). Certainly, they had more life and energy about them ... the 'better', more refined, top of the range jobs, sounded rather boring in comparison. I concluded they were the 'Naim' of the headphone world!
    Spot on!

S.

I'm Martin.

Hi

Yes Grado make excellent Headphones. Ive still got the SR60s with 414 pads on at the moment. I had better get a move on up the range. I feel well left behind with the i and e range I fancy going up to a 325e.

I possibly think there are too many in the lower range 60, 80 125 225. I should probably have bought the 80s. I would like a pair with the hard wired 6.3 only jack but it probably makes little difference having the adapter connector.

I have other headphones for various uses....tv portable use. I like the look of detachable cables now as Ive had headphones fail at the cable connection.

Grado seemed to win awards every year so I thought its time to buy Grado. The shop had me stood up in the corner listening through the headphone output of a Yamaha HDD recorder. It wasnt ideal but I heard enough to like them.

Next time Im finding a dealer with a proper headphone bar and a comfy chair

All the best
    Martin

I'm Rob.

I have Grado SR60's, good enough for my buggered ears.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Shaun.

I took delivery of a pair of Grado SR125e's yesterday and have listened a little but haven't had the chance for an extended session. Initial impressions are just where the hell did all of that resolution come from...?

danilo Guest

sans any argument intentions :-)
    Erm What? were you listening to previously?
    Grados are certainly OK but not That good.
    Putting Mine on... Reduces.. detail and dynamics as heard thru my Speakers,
    Plus I don't like the in the centre of my head soundstage.
    So I simply don't use mine..even when they could be useful ie; wee hours.

I'm Shaun.

The Grado SR125e's that I now have produce a really nice lively sound with good bass, very neutral midband and larger than life, sharp, decisive treble. They are completely different to the sound my loudspeakers make but then of course that is OK as I bought them as an alternative and not a replacement. I tend to listen mainly to electronic music so headphones are not ideal as they cannot reproduce sub oscillator bass sounds like cabinets can but as I bought mine to use with a Sony Walkman this is absolutely fine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast