+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tonearm, Cart, Headshell matching

I'm Richie.

I guess I could work backwards with a test record and a cart with a known compliance. Current cart is a Denon, so I don't even know comp at 100ha

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by martian sunrise View Post
    I've never been able to find the effective mass of the ma202 arm. I will be interested to hear your results.
    No one has that I know of and I've seen the question asked on a number of forums.
    Angus has given what sounds like the best and likely logic though.
    Based on that and what I've learned I'll give it a try. I'm far more confident now that the result will be very good and report back in due course

I'm Robert.

Decisions decisions. Been thinking that I can move even more to that ideal resonance area with the 12g magnesium headshell I was originally going to use but sold to fund the 16g Ortofon.
    I may well go back to one of those as It makes total sense to use the Cadenza in as optimum context as is possible.
    Last edited by RobbieGong; 29-04-2017 at 08:50.

I'm King.

Hi Robert,

I have a tonearm effective mass calculator spreadsheet made by Luckydog which I downloaded from Vinyle Engine some years ago but I need some more informations about the mass of the counterweight of your MA202 , the weight of the arm at stylus end (without the headshell , cartridge and counterweight removed) and also the desired VTF in grams.
    Last edited by kcc123; 29-04-2017 at 12:16.
    King

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by kcc123 View Post
    Hi Robert,

I have a tonearm effective mass calculator spreadsheet made by Luckydog which I downloaded from Vinyle Engine some years ago but I need some more informations about the mass of the counterweight of your MA202 , the weight of the arm at stylus end (without the headshell , cartridge and counterweight removed) and also the desired VTF in grams.
    Can you give us the link to the vinyengine.com site please King? I think many here would be interested to see it.
    Barry

I'm King.

Hi Barry,

I could not find the link which I think has been removed.
    King

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Luckydog's spreadsheet applied to straight arms only, and not to S- or J- shaped arms. The calculation of effective mass for a straight arm is relatively simple, given some dimensions and the dead weight of both the arm wand and of the counterweight.

I did once perform similar calculations for someone who had made his own S-shaped arm, and published his design here. He was able to give me some details of the materials used and some dimensions, as well as providing a photo. From this I was able to derive other dimensions. Making some reasonable assumptions, and after some 10 pages of calculations, I was able to provide figures for the effective masses for movement in both the horizontal and vertical plane.

Sadly the designer of the arm, despite being curious as to the actual effective mass of his arm, seemed neither interested in my calculations nor of the result.
    Barry

I'm Robert.

If I go with the 12g headshell I fancy now instead (to improve things resonance wise) @ 12g + 4g likely tonearm mass + 10.7g for cart + 1g for wire = 27.7g which should see me on the edge of the comfort zone.

Ideally I'd like an even lighter magnesium headshell if I could find one with both overhang and azimuth adjust too but nigh on impossible to find. The 12g headshell I'm considering has both

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123