+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reel to Reel Prices - are people just greeding about now??

I'm Stewart.

Default Reel to Reel Prices - are people just greeding about now??

As the thread title suggests discuss.

I personally believe that on the whole the majority of "sellers" who have these things and put them on ebay etc. have very little idea of what they have but nonetheless learn very quickly how to use terms like "full service" (you dusted it before listing it) and "full recap" (one or two in the power supply were replaced as far as you know maybe possibly) in their often rather scant and useless desciptions.

I am personally doubtful that there will be any open reel tape release revival as the music industry will never get itself into a high enough gear to even attempt it. You need to reissue classic back catalogue material as well as contemporary right from the get go to raise any kind of potential interest from end users and thus from machine manufacturers and duplication operations.

In terms of using the machines in the home for recording etc. again relatively few folk who end up purchasing a machine actually really use it or can use it to even part of it's full potential (if it is a studio recorder). Studio machines were not and simply are not really intended for use in the home - they can be of course but really you need the support of a full blown monitoring installation to take advantage of one in order to make correctly specified recordings each time you use it.

Domestic machines were a massive compromise in this direction and were ok as far as they went but came nowhere near to their professional counterparts with very good reason from a manufacturing standpoint.

I wonder if this rather silly price bubble is about to burst.
    Stewart.

I'm Grant.

Very much agree. If cd recorders and mini disc cant make it then tape wont either. It looks great, and can sound great but few have a machine that they can use properly, and in the home is there really much of a need?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

I have an Akai but cannot get any sound out of it - looks pretty though.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Have to say my Tandberg makes absolutely superb recordings to my ears. Obviously I'm just an amateur with these things, and I mostly record gigs and other stuff from Sky Arts, recordings of which can't be had any other way as they are not available on CD or download, but the SQ easily rivals and even betters what I can get from my vinyl setup.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodgesound View Post
    As the thread title suggests discuss.

I personally believe that on the whole the majority of "sellers" who have these things and put them on ebay etc. have very little idea of what they have but nonetheless learn very quickly how to use terms like "full service" (you dusted it before listing it) and "full recap" (one or two in the power supply were replaced as far as you know maybe possibly) in their often rather scant and useless desciptions.

I am personally doubtful that there will be any open reel tape release revival as the music industry will never get itself into a high enough gear to even attempt it. You need to reissue classic back catalogue material as well as contemporary right from the get go to raise any kind of potential interest from end users and thus from machine manufacturers and duplication operations.

In terms of using the machines in the home for recording etc. again relatively few folk who end up purchasing a machine actually really use it or can use it to even part of it's full potential (if it is a studio recorder). Studio machines were not and simply are not really intended for use in the home - they can be of course but really you need the support of a full blown monitoring installation to take advantage of one in order to make correctly specified recordings each time you use it.

Domestic machines were a massive compromise in this direction and were ok as far as they went but came nowhere near to their professional counterparts with very good reason from a manufacturing standpoint.

I wonder if this rather silly price bubble is about to burst.
    The 7 1/2 ips and 15 ips machines, can be very close to as good as a studio machine, by using one in tandem
    with a Type 1 DBX , note Type 1 not Type 2 that was made for cassette. the model numbers were
    DBX 180A ( used by Vangelis ) or 155 ( used by Anthony Phillips - first Genesis guitarist for his album Geese
    and the Ghost ) or the 150X, the 150 is to my ear inferior

The 155 and 150x can also be used real time to improve CD playback.

Cheers / Chris

I'm Russell.

Back in the day when these home reel to reel's were popular, it was the ultimate hi fidelity machine! But only if you could get your hands on some copies of the master tape, expensive copies sold in limited quantities, and they sounded pretty amazing for the times. But, while you can get a refurbished machine, those old tapes couldn't hardly be of any use. With tape bleed, and dry rot, magnetic losses, etc. those tapes couldn't play anymore. And I don't think you could buy any new ones? So what good is the machine? It would be like a shiny new 8-track tape player.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm inthescottishmafia.

They are good for lots if you make your own recordings. There are still companies producing tape.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Jez.

If you are not making live recordings I can't see much point to them beyond an engineering curiosity or objet d' art.. and I've got several of 'em! I don't think I've switched one on for several years...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Dave.

The whole point for me on recording was making compilation tapes.
    The very few whole albums i recorded ,were LP's i borrowed off a friend, and for love or money could never track down. A load of fun to be had editing Album tracks.
    A few friends would even go as far as double solo type of thing, they would record a guitar solo they liked twice, and kudos to the person who could do it with just the record/pause button, no splicing etc.. So the acoustic guitar solo on 'come up and see me, make me smile, would repeat, but you would think it was part of the song when done well.
    I enjoy a good tape comp...
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

I'm Charlie.

There is a limited supply of high end studio machines as most were chucked in skips 20 years ago. So with supply and demand economics, prices are just going up.

There are now over 500 legit titles available on 15 IPS 2 track 1/4 inch tape. The Tape Project will even do you a 30 IPS 1/2 inch copy if you are well heeled. Chad Kassam in the USA is now re-releasing a number of classic albums and is planning to continue this programme over time. In the USA and the Far East, there are plenty of people who will buy high quality tape at USD 300-450 a title. Before people choke at this cost just think how much some collectors will pay for a first pressing of a classic album in good nick - now that is truly crazy.

So maybe, people in the UK may not spark off a R2R revival, but I think it is burning slowly elsewhere and catching on. I, for one, am completely hooked. I haven't spun my Platine Verdier for 2 months now.Much more exciting things to do, like check my recently arrived copy of Doors-LA Woman and Dylan's Blonde on Blonde

Charlie

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast