+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Youtube: Hearing Test Tones

I'm Shane.

Default Youtube: Hearing Test Tones

Sometimes I like trying them for fun. I can hear pretty much up to around 16khz. But getting to 17khz...Can't hear it. I'm 28 now. No doubt, that some older folks can hear better than me!!

I did read somewhere, that YouTube compresses around the 16khz mark.

What about you members? How is your hearing nowadays?

S.

I'm Simon.

Hi Shane,
    Mine is pretty decent and I'm 42 but I do wonder about these you tube test tones, because wouldn't you think the you tube software adjusts the sound such that it can be heard and even if it's a tone you'd hear anyway, can it be truly representative playing off a computer or iPad etc.
    Simon

I'm Shane.

Yes, I do wonder myself, Simon.

Most people say the onset compression, starts from just slightly over 16khz. Some have pointed out as well, that the sound card plays a role too.

Anyway, I'm no expert. Just a slightly curious fool

S.

I'm Grant.

think i get a bit over 15khz but you can sense if the stuff above is missing(ie not playing) imv a wide Mid range is most important bit for me.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    think i get a bit over 15khz but you can sense if the stuff above is missing(ie not playing) imv a wide Mid range is most important bit for me.
    Still consider yourself lucky!

S.

I'm Geoff.

58 next month and STILL 16 khz plus. Was over 20 khz 30 years AGO!

Still seem to have exceptional low frequency hearing.

I am still the first to hear footsteps approaching house and cars pulling up.

Geoff

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    58 next month and STILL 16 khz plus. Was over 20 khz 30 years AGO!

Still seem to have exceptional low frequency hearing.

I am still the first to hear footsteps approaching house and cars pulling up.

Geoff
    Lucky man!

S.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Am 48 and can still hear 17k. Not too bad.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Here's a good site for test tones etc-

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_index.php

Useful for checking your system too.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Here's a good site for test tones etc-

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_index.php

Useful for checking your system too.
    Had a quick go with the Mosquito one. Can just about hear both Mosquito Tone 1 (Steady) & Mosquito Tone 2 (Modulated)

S.

+ Reply to Thread